To much Fuel Additive-Now a CEL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy: It took me a while to understand-->Sometimes less is better in fuel additives.

I now only use Redline SI-1.
In our Audi and Edge with each only having 15gallon fuel tank I add 3oz every other fill up.

In my sons F150 w/30gallon fuel tank I add 6oz every other fill up.

We normally don't let our fuel tanks get below 1/2 tank before we fill up.

I will say-->I hardly ever get the additive in every other tank, normally it's once a month. Since the kids never tell me when they fuel their cars up.

I know every auto is different. I feel after doing some reading that 3oz per 15gallons is not really over dosing it.

Also after doing this for the last few months. The 5.4L 3V has ran flawless. No returning CEL.

I have used MMO in several vehicles over the years in the gasoline without any issues starting when they received their first tank of fuel onward.

3 to 4 oz of it with 10 gallons of gasoline. More is not better!

Soooo, I'm not the only one who uses Fuel System Cleaner(FSC) and gets a CEL.

My wifes '01 Lexus RX-300 seems to throw a CEL apon the use of a FSC(at the regular doseage) and deffinately DOES NOT like MMO.

I can use FSC's in her 1MZFE(Toyota 3.0L V6) engine but at just shy of the normal doseage and deffinately NO OVERDOSING!

When the CEL apears, the enging still runs fine, it's just throwing a Code pertaining to the A/F sensor on one of the Banks.

I have not had to replace the O2 sensors due to the FSC, just another tankfull of gas w/o FSC and all is OK again!

Yes, I have replaced the O2 and A/F sensors over time as the CEL wouldn't go away...This may be due the the FSC but, I can't answer if FSC's(Regane/Techron) were the culprit over the years. I did replace the A/F sensors kind'a prematurley but, the A/F sensors for this RX-300 shows up in the frequency of repair ratings/trouble spots. So, IDK!

And yes, I still continue to use a FSC now & again as good PM. I'm just careful in doing so as even with new sensors, too much FSC will trigger the CEL. But she'll still run fine!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back