Saw this ad-buying used oil $1 gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post the actual link from the page so we can see the ad.

I know used oil is selling for like $2.xx a gallon so this guy is making a decent profit if the quantity is large enough.

So I could actually run the $2.00/gal after FAR (tax and postage usually run you around .50/qt) and then resell it for what I paid for it?
That would be the ultimate score.

I give it to the place I get work done and said half joking "I should get a credit for all the oil I bring you".

This time it was many gallons for a transmission flush and Cummins engine oil change.

He did not take the hint.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I give it to the place I get work done and said half joking "I should get a credit for all the oil I bring you".

This time it was many gallons for a transmission flush and Cummins engine oil change.

He did not take the hint.

...and they probably burn it in their shop heater.

Most places especially shops are using waste oil heaters now so its cheap heat. I'm in the process of building one now. My dad has been running a home built unit in his shop now for a few years with great success, every oil change he does is free heat!

Heating oil usually runs me over $3 per gallon, so every oil change worth that I dump in the tanks saves me about $2-3.

I have noticed that when I take my oil back to the parts store for recycling, I get the impression that it never makes it to the big tank in the back. When I walk in with the 2.5 gallon container, I just walk into the back and pour it in the tank. When I walk in with 5 qt jugs in my hand they tell me they will take care of dumping it and ask what weight oil I was using, then tell me to just leave the jugs at the counter. This has happened at OAP and AZ, where I feel like the guys working there are pouring the oil in a diesel fuel tank or selling it to someone.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Most places especially shops are using waste oil heaters now so its cheap heat. I'm in the process of building one now. My dad has been running a home built unit in his shop now for a few years with great success, every oil change he does is free heat!

More info please. Drawings, links, etc

Hello, If you're going to do that be aware that the nasty stuff in old oil will make your entire house smell like a stinkin', filthy garage if the hardware isn't perfect. I'm not trying to be your mother or anything; it's just that I've seen it done badly twice and the horrible smell lingered. Also, when you're researching your designs etc., see if it's legal. Just so you know. Since it's easy to locate a kerosene heater in a suburb by smell. They can just as easily zero in on a waste oil heater; if they want to-if a neighbor complained. I can hear it now, "You're poisoning my baby!" Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back