MAG 1 15W40 in 2007.5 Cummins 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect to get any real information or any information directly from Cummins or any other manufacturer on this. It does verify they have real knowledge on the wear rates vs. longevity. I believe by adhering to the OEM OCI cycles (which are now determined by the trucks computer) and using a standard CJ-4 spec'd oil the B50 at 300k will be met.

In my case the computer still thinks I have the DPF/EGR installed which triggers my OCI too early. Consequently, it will be telling me to conservatively change it at ~7.5k instead of a more reasonable 15k+.

I appreciate all the information and think I'm now progressing beyond the kindergarden stage.
smile.gif

A couple years ago I asked them what insolubles were and asked if that was soot. They said no we don't show soot but I can recommend another lab that does. I can assure you a stock 6.7 liter does not make .3 soot. It makes closer to 1.5-2% I don't think this guys 6.7 is stock though I have to read his post again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited there. I understand how they do the insolubles. Soot is indeed inclucded, but there is no way to know how much of the insoluble count is soot versus other "stuff" like oxidation products, etc. It's a relative number based upon a visual reference standard. The soot most certainly does account for some of that number, but their process has no ability to define what percent in the method they use.

If you get a chance, read my article about how the UOAs are processed at Blackstone.

The numbers on the left are the previous values using 15W-40 MAG 1. Numbers on the right are using Havoline 15W-40. Both oil changes were done at the Texaco Fast Lube. According to the people that work there they get different diesel oil and it comes in 50g drums whereas the other oil comes by truck load. I thought I'd be getting the same oil and thought wrong.

Truck Odometer: 80230 mi 89848 mi
Miles on oil: 7857 9618
no makeup oil added for each oil change.

80% towing 17000# trailer
20% around town - mostly stop and go

From Blackstone Labs:

Wear Metals (ppm):
Iron; 43 30
Chromium; 3 2
Al; 3 2
Copper; 2 2
Lead; 1 2

Contaminants:
Silicon; 4 4
Sodium; 8 9

Multi-source metals:
Moly; 59 54
Boron; 12 7

Additive metals:
Mag; 1255 999
Calcium; 1396 1396
Phos; 1379 1202
Zinc; 1743 1464

Fuel% Insolubles% 0.2 0.4
Water% 0.0 0.0

SUS 72.9 70.8
cSt 13.7 13.2
Flashpoint 430 460
TBN = not checked

Blackstone says: "This oil was in place a little longer than last time, but the engine certainly didn't mind. Most of the
wear metals held nice and steady. Iron normally tracks with time on the oil, so seeing it lower after a longer
run isn't exactly the norm, but we'll take it. If this engine does have any issues developing, they're certainly
not showing up here. No fuel or coolant to worry about and low insolubles and silicon show good oil and air
filtration. Even the viscosity is on spec for 15W/40. Go ahead to run the next oil longer if you want, say
11,500 miles. If not, that's fine too."

I changed the oil this time and used Rotella T Triple 15W-40 and a Baldwin filter. I'll take it to ~13k this time.

Any comments are welcome.

Also, the first test was in April and the last in September.

Originally Posted By: GBL
Truck Odometer: 80230 mi
Miles on oil: 7857
no makeup oil added since last oil change.
First sample ever...

70% towing 17000# trailer
30% around town - mostly stop and go

From Blackstone Labs:

Wear Metals:
Iron; 43 ppm
Chromium; 3
Al; 3
Copper; 2
Lead; 1

Contaminants:
Silicon; 4
Sodium; 8

Multi-source metals:
Moly; 59
Boron; 12

Additive metals:
Mag; 1255
Calcium; 1396
Phos; 1379
Zinc; 1743

Fuel Dilution Soot Water 0.0%

KV100 = 13.7 cSt
TBN = not checked (manufacturer says sold as 10)

Any comments are welcome.

You really need to get the TBN. I know its extra with B/S, but its needed. This oil could have kept on going for awhile unless the TBN was depleted.

Originally Posted By: GBL

Wish I could find some CI-4....

You could look into Texas Refinery Corp. Pro-Spec III
http://www.texasrefinery.com/images/lb-pro-speciii(2).pdf
I believe they ship for free if you order a moderately large amount.

Charlie

6.7dodge%201Aug15_zpsicbetqtw.png

Here's the latest test results. The first oil was Mag 1, then Halvoline and the last three were with Rotella T. All but the last one had heavy loads towed with a GCVW of ~25000#. Since my wife no longer competes we sold the big trailer so it's easy pulling now and not very often. The last sample were the results of mostly pulling a 5000# bumper pull horse trailer. I would have gone further with the oil but it'd been in there for almost 18 months and the truck is always outside in the humid south. Measured the oil as it comes out and it doesn't burn any oil. I consider the results very good and think I could have gone much further. The truck is now 8 years old. I'm now to the point where Dave is...the tires will not wear out but go rotten before a couple more oil changes!

Let's consider this a poll, how much further should I push it next time? I'll be the guinea pig....well, to a point...

Hey GBL, that looks great for sure. Don't worry about being a guinea pig but if no problems pop up, I think 20K would be a piece of cake.

Based on your sample results, I'd test somewhere along the way. What ever your comfortable with, but maybe half way to what you think you're willing to run an oci...or maybe annually. Just some ideas. That engine is going easy on the oil, for sure.

I ran Rotella TP last year and was impressed with the TBN retention and had great results with it. Thanks for posting!

Mag1 is all I use at my company. Everything we use is now Mag1......even the octane boost for my boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back