2010 Ford Escape w/27k miles, black trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
they said the black transmission fluid is normal and the weird shifting is a characteristic of the 6F35. They also said their trans techs are backed up a month because of a recall going on right now.

Quote:
Bad news is the service write up guy claims this is "normal". [censored]! Its been flaring, banging into drive first thing in the morning, getting 'confused' between gears and in general shifting like its about to die

None of this is "normal". The service writer is putting spin on this plain and simple.
For the transmission fluid to get like that its either filled with clutch/band material and/or been severely overheated.

If this were mine i would be very worried. Even if you do a line off flush its not going to address the root cause or undo the damage and wear already taken place.
I would contact Ford directly and demand to speak to the zone manager.

Originally Posted By: Trav
None of this is "normal". The service writer is putting spin on this plain and simple.
For the transmission fluid to get like that its either filled with clutch/band material and/or been severely overheated.

If this were mine i would be very worried. Even if you do a line off flush its not going to address the root cause or undo the damage and wear already taken place.

Right!

Get a sample out to a Lab right away.

What's the powertrain warranty on this?

Dealer says it's normal, you've got the record of you doing required service...so, when it blows up inside the warranty period, they owe you a new trans...right?

Not sure I would do anything but drive it at this point, while writing the zone rep...

Originally Posted By: Trav

The CRITICAL part is you MUST get this documented in writing by a dealer, go to another dealer and have them document your concerns with a detailed description of how the fluid looks and most importantly the defective way it shifts. I would also send the fluid to a certified lab to check it for contamination.

DEFINITELY contact Ford Corporate and insist on having a zone field manager visit with you at a dealer.

I agree with others that is DEFINITELY NOT normal.

Don't let the matter go; the faster you start the ball rolling the better.

The hard part with these 6F35's is to actually get the stupid things to act up when you do take them into the dealer. This morning, I counted 8 pooched shifts on my way into work. That is for a 6.6 mile trip. Last Friday I drove around with their trans tech for a half hour, not one screwed up shift. This is not an issue if the trans is hot or cold either. They will screw up whenever they want. Tuesday morning it started slipping so bad in 3rd gear car started to slow, then it shifted to 4th gear as tho nothing ever happened???? And I have seen TSB for the fluid, it does say fluid color is NO indicator of condition. Only if it has a burnt odor.

Originally Posted By: PTBH04
And I have seen TSB for the fluid, it does say fluid color is NO indicator of condition. Only if it has a burnt odor.

Yeah, I read that too.

Lets agree on one thing - discolored trans fluid (dark red, red wine colored, etc) I would let slide.

But my fluid was BLACK with particulate floating in it. Didnt look like metal particles but little black ones.

If it was dark red, or burgandy colored or whatever, I would feel a lot better. I couldnt believe my eyes when I siphoned out those 4 quarts!!! Ive never seen ANY transmission (and Ive owned a lot of cars with ominous transmissions over the years) do that at 27,000 miles.

I do agree on the black fluid part, and I'm sure we can agree on that the 6F35 has one foot in the grave when it comes off the assembly line. Sorry if I seem intent on bad mouthing it, but today it was shifting fine til I get almost to work then it starts doing the 1-2 [censored] again. It's just so unreal.

I do agree on the black fluid part, and I'm sure we can agree on that the 6F35 has one foot in the grave when it comes off the assembly line. Sorry if I seem intent on bad mouthing it, but today it was shifting fine til I get almost to work then it starts doing the 1-2 [censored] again. It's just so unreal.

You have TWO Fusions of the same MY?

At least the 3.5 six cylinder has the AW transmission. LOL

A word of advise NEVER a good idea to own two identical or nearly identical models of the same year.
wink.gif

Haha, yeah I do. Funny how two of the same car can be so different. The AW transmission is AWESOME. I guess I have one of the best front drive transmissions and one of the worst!

Let me fan the flames some more...although judging ATF solely by colour is not valid, I find it very hard to believe that any ATF is *supposed* to turn from cherry red to black in that short a time, and it most certainly is not supposed to have particles floating in it.

Document the heck out of this...

I agree completely RF overlord. I checked the fluid this morning after running errands and the dealer had overfilled it by 20oz. I checked the fluid that I drained off, and even tho on the white dipstick it kinda looked dark redish brown, it was BLACK. Nasty and as far as I am concerned burned up. Too the extent that I have been car shopping and lost my behind and got rid of the Fusion. I bought a leftover 12 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Just picked it up tonight.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

You have TWO Fusions of the same MY?

At least the 3.5 six cylinder has the AW transmission. LOL

A word of advise NEVER a good idea to own two identical or nearly identical models of the same year.
wink.gif

Well...yes and no (see sig)...it means that I see every problem twice...but it also means that I know what to expect, and I only have to learn one system for two cars...

Im kind of torn now... after changing out 4 quarts of the dark brown stuff the shifts are much much better, the flares have been reduced 90%, and no more banging into gear.

I checked the fluid yesterday and it definitely looks like it could use at least 2-3 more four quart interval exchanges. Going to keep a very close eye on the situation. Im seriously considering sending a sample out to blackstone for an analysis.

In the meantime, this truck has the 5/60k powertrain warranty and we are still under the 3/36k until May 2013. Ive been pricing out Fords Premium Care extended warrany for 7 years, 100k miles.

For the record, this is our first ever Ford product. Not going to turn my back on Ford but I thought much more of Fords transmissions.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Im seriously considering sending a sample out to blackstone for an analysis.
Do it. When the report comes back and shows how roagy the fluid is, go back to your service writer and show it to him. "Normal, eh?"

Also, if the small fluid refresh has produced the improvements you claim, I would absolutely have a complete fluid exchange done.

I noticed the same thing with our old '10 Ford Fusion. Once I did a couple of drain/fills, the shifts seemed better. At least for awhile, then the flaring would come back. We got rid of that car, needless to say I'm not a fan of the 6F35 at all.

To the OP: Whatever you do, tell no one that you did a drain and fill yourself. Opens up a big can of worms warranty wise. How do they know what you put in regardless of receipts. gives them an excuse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bradepb
To the OP: Whatever you do, tell no one that you did a drain and fill yourself. Opens up a big can of worms warranty wise. How do they know what you put in regardless of receipts. gives them an excuse.

For sure Im not going to say anything.

Im going to do 2-3 more changes, 4 quart intervals. If that further improves the shifts and flares (and the fluid quality!), Ill go to Ford and get a transmission service at 60k miles and act like it was my first fluid exchange. IIRC, Ford recommends 60k mile fluid changes under extreme service and 100k miles under normal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
And I have seen TSB for the fluid, it does say fluid color is NO indicator of condition. Only if it has a burnt odor.

Yeah, I read that too.

Lets agree on one thing - discolored trans fluid (dark red, red wine colored, etc) I would let slide.

But my fluid was BLACK with particulate floating in it. Didnt look like metal particles but little black ones.

If it was dark red, or burgandy colored or whatever, I would feel a lot better. I couldnt believe my eyes when I siphoned out those 4 quarts!!! Ive never seen ANY transmission (and Ive owned a lot of cars with ominous transmissions over the years) do that at 27,000 miles.

Black with stuff floating with it is a very bad sign. Some fluids are known for changing color and darkening (possibly even turning a brown), but I have never heard of black fluid under 30,000 miles. The particulate is clutch material.

The good news, if there is such a thing in this situation, is that this transmission should fail completely under the powertrain warranty. At this rate, I don't think you need to worry about it lasting 5 years and 1 day or 60,001 miles.

Still, the more documentation you can get, the better. Can you have a passenger take a video of the issue? Just make sure to get the mileage and a good shot of the tachometer (for the shift flares) and the shake from banging hard into gear. If it is anything like the ones I have seen on YouTube (search term: 6F35 transmission), I don't see how the dealer could deny the issue.

I just went out and checked our 09 Escape and the trans fluid is dark as well. I guess you could say black, but it does not shift funny at all. It was reflashed under a recal about a year or so ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back