E350 Trans Dipstick Rusted in Filler Tube

Greetings Oil Men.

About a year ago I went to check the Transmission fluid in my 1993 E350 5.8L gas. The dipstick felt like it was stuck but I pulled hard and it came out. I noticed there was a spot where the dipstick had rusted to the inside of the filler tube. Didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Fast forward. Yesterday I checked it and a major amount of rust has occurred on the dipstick. The only think I can guess is that the radiator is leaking coolant into the transmission cooler lines and getting water in the transmission. The trans fluid still looks red but is hard to see because putting the dipstick in and out dredges up a bunch of filthy rust. Has anybody ever heard of this before?

I'm thinking I better change the radiator and do a transmission fluid and filter before something gets damaged.

Your thoughts?

Nibbana

I've seen the rusted dipsticks on many makes of vehicles.
I'd begin by replacing the fill tube and dipstick to reduce the risk of rust
particles entering the trans. Your trans may have a drain plug. If so, do a drain and fill
after the repair and send a sample out for analysis. Does the tube feel loose? Many times
the spot weld that holds the bracket in place fails and leaves a small hole in the tube and
allows moisture in and it will allow rust to form.
YMMV

As a ford fan I am disgusted with their pot metal dipstick tubes. The tub is rotting out, and water is getting in the pinholes.

On my F150 The whole tube comes out with the stick to check the oil as it has rotted in half.

If you routinely checked your transmission fluid level, I doubt you would have the dipstick issue you have. I have owned older Fords and never had a rust issue with the dipstick or the tube and I live in the rust belt.

The van only has less than 70K miles on it and only gets about 1500 miles per year as a camper. I try to drive it once a month. I noticed the coolant was about 1 quart low in the radiator. Don't see any external signs of coolant leaks. The dipstick appears solid but it's almost impossible to see. Am in the process of removing the radiator to test it.

Back