2010 Ford Escape w/27k miles, black trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We brought our 2010 Escape with the v6, 6F35 transmission and 27000 miles into the dealership Monday for some warranty work (ignition cylinder, suspension, etc). I asked them to check the transmission because its been shifting wonky and I know about the 6F35 TSB's about reflashing the computer. I also asked them about the black transmission fluid on the dipstick.

We pick up the truck yesterday and they said the black transmission fluid is normal and the weird shifting is a characteristic of the 6F35. They also said their trans techs are backed up a month because of a recall going on right now.

So tonight I decided to siphon out whatever I could out of the dipstick tube (4 quarts) and refilled with Motorcraft Mercon LV.

So heres a picture I snapped, the cap on the right is obviously the fluid I siphoned out and on the left is the new fluid I put back in. Truck has 27000 miles. What would you do next ?

2ni766s.jpg

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
wow, get that stuff outa there quick !!

I know right.

Good news (great news?) we are still under the Ford 3/36k warranty until May, then the powertrain 5 years, 60k miles.

Bad news is the service write up guy claims this is "normal". [censored]! Its been flaring, banging into drive first thing in the morning, getting 'confused' between gears and in general shifting like its about to die. Im interested to see how it shifts tomorrow with some new fluid in it.

Yikes, change that fuild ASAP !!!!!

On any vehicle with auto transmission I always do 2 drain/refills at 30K miles to get rid of the original ATF.

Look at dipsticks on other similar vehicles at the dealer lot with him and see if they are all black or not.

If they are all red, ask him how it can be normal??

Keep us informed...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
The color means the fluid is full of dirt. Never seen such a dark color in 35 years of experience.

Isnt it nice?
shocked.gif

Normal, says Ford.

Im not buying it. Im going to call another dealership tomorrow and see if I can get in soon - I dont want to bring it in right away now because I just drained out 4 quarts (Out of 12) of the brown stuff. Ill give it a week or two to mix in real good and turn brown again.

Last edited:
Chriz - any way to find out if the vehicle was flooded?
What to do next? Follow tpitcher's advice, and keep an eye on the color change of the new fluid. Change again soon, maybe do an analysis on the fluid while it is still under warranty.
Would certainly be worth the twenty bucks.

Let me know what dealership this is so that I can avoid it! Sounds like they simply don't care to me. Good call on the change...

I have not since fluid that bad since I did my wife's cavalier a few years ago at 50k..and still shifts great for it's age...

You asked what to do next.......

If the transmission fluid looks that bad then you should change out the differential fluids/transfer case if you have 4WD.

I'd also have the power steering fluid flushed out and replaced. If Ford is backed up and can't do maintenance for you.....do it yourself and save the receipts or have it done at by a reputable mechanic.

IMO....all fluids should be changed out early to get rid of excess wear material from the factory.

Changing the fluids is a lot cheaper than replacing a component.

I would get a UOA with TAN. I would try and get the dealer to write on the slip "customer states ATF is very dark, almost black. Checked, no problem found." Its another piece of evidence if it fails just outside of warranty. If the dealer will not write that then ask him to fix it.

Since the dealer gets paid by the company for all warranty work, I do not understand why they would not fix this.

Black is not a true indication of ATF condition. But its cause for more investigation.

These 6 speed Ford transmissions seem to have more than their share of problems. The Aisin 6 speed automatic used in the older model V6 Fusion/500/Taurus were great (4 cylinder Fusions had a 5 speed Jatco unit which was also a stout trans) but it seems that the Ford/GM co-designed 6 speeds used later (including the Escape) may have some serious design issues based on their high problem and failure rates (significantly higher in Fords for some reason). The issues frequently manifest at low mileage and are obviously being addressed under the warranty. Ford has come a long way and is turning out some great vehicles but they need to quickly address these transmission issues.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
You asked what to do next.......

If the transmission fluid looks that bad then you should change out the differential fluids/transfer case if you have 4WD.

I'd also have the power steering fluid flushed out and replaced. If Ford is backed up and can't do maintenance for you.....do it yourself and save the receipts or have it done at by a reputable mechanic.

IMO....all fluids should be changed out early to get rid of excess wear material from the factory.

Changing the fluids is a lot cheaper than replacing a component.

Its 2wd and it has electric power steering (no PS fluid).

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 6F35. Been going around and around with my dealer about mine also. Just clicked over 12000 easy miles and my fluid is turning dark brown. Dealer is quick to point out the TSB Ford released saying trans fluid color means nothing unless the fluid is burnt. I have the same issues your talking about, except now after the latest reflash I am sometimes getting a bang/harsh engagement into reverse. The other benefit of the latest reflash is my mpgs are down 2. It is truly a terrible transmission. Makes me actually wish for a Chrysler Ultracrap.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
I know right.

Good news (great news?) we are still under the Ford 3/36k warranty until May, then the powertrain 5 years, 60k miles.

Bad news is the service write up guy claims this is "normal". [censored]! Its been flaring, banging into drive first thing in the morning, getting 'confused' between gears and in general shifting like its about to die. Im interested to see how it shifts tomorrow with some new fluid in it.

the poor shifting/flare description and the dark condition of the fluid to me indicates slippage and resultant clutch material burned and deposited into the fluid. That is not a normal condition. My guess is that any new fluid will soon wind up the same.
Here's an example of a new clutch disc out of 4R70W with less than 100 miles of slippage caused by an oversight of not installing a seal into the intermediate clutch pack. Color matches your fluid.
240416812.jpg

new clutches at install
240416816.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back