2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 / 4AT - Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend with the 2003 Santa Fe 2.4/4AT doesn't feel it's worth the maintenance as it's starting to rot underneath. It needs timing belt, spark plugs, oil change, brake lines, rear brakes, tires, AT fluid change, HVAC motor, etc.

While car shopping, we came across a 2006 Sonata with 84k on it. I'm assuming it has the same powertrane as the Santa Fe.

It has not a single spec of rust underneath which is odd for a 2006!

What tends to go with with these? Are they good cars?

The core engines/transmissions appear to be solid on these cars. The 4 cylinders have a couple common problems, like the oil control valve failing, for example. The fuel pumps sometimes fail on these, too.

But, the real problem areas with these cars are the auxiliary systems. The expensive problems are with the ABS/ESC systems, airbag system and fuel tank emissions system. It seems Hyundai cut costs on these cars by cheaping out on these systems. These are also the types of things that sometimes only dealers will work on.

My 2007 Sonata has had problems with the ESC system, the fuel tank emissions system and the airbag light is now on. I've been putting off taking it to the dealer for the airbag light because it's a guaranteed $107 diagnostic fee to hook it to their computer.

These auxiliary systems use proprietary software. While some high-dollar code readers can get the codes, they sometimes can't tell you the problem or an independent shop won't be able to figure it out. With my ESC problem, a local shop could get the codes, but had no idea what they meant and told me to go to the dealer.

A good forum for these cars is Hyundai-Forums. You'll find lots of people who love the NF Sonatas and claim they've had no problems. But you'll also find some people like me. My 2007 Sonata has been one problem after another.

My 2006 Sonata Limited with the 3.3L never once had a problem (except the horn, which was replaced under warrenty). It got to 105K before being killed off in an accident. Also had a 2008 Sonata which was trouble free except for an occasional TMPS light. The 2.4L engine has been used in many vehicles without major issues. Codes are available all over the internet, even for other proprietary-coded vehicles. Hyundai-Forums is OK, but mainly consists of a younger audience mostly interested in HID/LED mods and "Murdering out" vehicles. There are a couple good technicians that roam the site from time to time. Fuel pumps, are about average on par with other makes.

2003 rotted away? My 1988 hasnt a spec of rust underneath.
They sure dont make vehicles the way they used to.
They want to make sure it hits the scrapyard so you will have to go shopping (they hope for another new one of the same make).

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Codes are available all over the internet, even for other proprietary-coded vehicles.

You're correct, but you'll still have to go to a shop or the dealer to even get the codes, as most consumer-level scanners can't access them.

On my ESC issues, I got the codes from the independent shop and researched it, but there were a lot of possible causes. I did all the easy things myself. After the dealer and I tinkered with it, it appears it was a wiring problem, even though the dealer told me it needed a $1700 ABS pump.

If your 2003 santa fe is rotting underneath and you haven't taken it in to a dealer for the 090 campaign to be performed, you should. You may get your subframe and trailing arms replaced for free.
As for the motors. The 2.4 in the santa fe and the 2.4 in the 06 sonata are 100% different motors. mo timing belt in the 06 sonata. The Theta motor is closely related to the more current mitsubishi and chrysler Gema motors.

When I was reading on the Hyundai site, I was reading a bit about Airbag problems. Seems that there is a connector under the seats that corrodes; a lot of times, just cleaning the connector helps.

And Sun visors ..

I didn't hear much about the ESC problems, I didn't see any buttons for ESC/TC in this car, so my assumption is being a lower-end model (GLS) that it wouldn't have the extra [censored] to go bad? Unfortunately, these cars aren't all that common in junkyards (too new) so grabbing parts from there to fix odd electrical issues like ESC/Airbag isn't really an option.

That's really something to think about.

One thing that worries me is this car is priced $1000 below KBB value, at a dealer, looks to be in good shape and has new brakes. Something mechanically wrong?

The A/T fluid is black. From what I understand, these transmissions turn A/T fluid black pretty quick. I'd definitely be changing it with a good synthetic transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: salv
If your 2003 santa fe is rotting underneath and you haven't taken it in to a dealer for the 090 campaign to be performed, you should. You may get your subframe and trailing arms replaced for free.
As for the motors. The 2.4 in the santa fe and the 2.4 in the 06 sonata are 100% different motors. mo timing belt in the 06 sonata. The Theta motor is closely related to the more current mitsubishi and chrysler Gema motors.

By sub frame, I'm assuming you mean the "engine cradle" that has the control arms on it? Those are actually in good shape. My assumption is that the recall was alredy done. I believe there was also a recall done for strut mounts rusting through? His parents mentioned something about getting struts done at some point for free from Hyundai. It's more body rot and the unibody structure starting to rot out a bit and fuel lines ... and brake lines.

Didn't know that they are different motors - good to know! Also glad to hear that it's a timing chain and not a timing belt. Although, one of the odd things I heard was timing chain rattle ... so that should have occurred to me while reading up on the car.

If I had the space or he had the money for a garage, I *REALLY* thinking keeping the Santa Fe and putting the money into it and fixing it would be the better solution. A good set of tires, some routine maintenance and the car is good to go another 50k miles (hopefully)

Originally Posted By: Miller88
When I was reading on the Hyundai site, I was reading a bit about Airbag problems. Seems that there is a connector under the seats that corrodes; a lot of times, just cleaning the connector helps.

And Sun visors ..

Sometimes the connectors are the problem, but other causes are the seat buckle sensors failing or the passenger seat sensor failing. There is a recall on the passenger seat sensor, but it seems it's for the sensor not sensing people with low weight or weird sitting positions. If the sensor just breaks, you may have to fight to try to get them to cover it under the recall.

And yes, sun visors always fail on these. I've replaced both sides on my Sonata. It's super easy. The cheapest visors I found were dealers selling on ebay. I think I paid about $45 shipped each.

There may be a recall on the driver's side visor, since having it fall down constantly can block your vision. But, I could be misremembering.

Originally Posted By: salv
If The 2.4 in the santa fe and the 2.4 in the 06 sonata are 100% different motors. mo timing belt in the 06 sonata. The Theta motor is closely related to the more current mitsubishi and chrysler Gema motors.

I believe they are the same motors, however the 2.7L engine used in those years did have a timing belt. I know the 2.0, the 2.4's little bro had a belt as well.

Timing belt / timing chain is a maintenance thing. Not a real issue ... as long as it's change and doesn't snap.

Is it normal for these cars to turn A/T fluid dark pretty quickly?

I have an 09 with 84k miles and I have had no issues thus far to report. My radio failed but was replaced under warranty and other than that I have driven all around the U.S in it and been happy with it. THe trans seems like it may be an issue later but the motor seems very solid.

I've already experienced some problems with this transmission on the Santa fe. It has 135k miles on it and the trans started to shift flare between 2-3 or not at all. Sucked out 3 quarts, replaced 3 quarts and it seemed to help. Now it's a hard shift.

General consensus was it's a *decent* trans. FWIW on the santa fe, it does have a pretty nice cooler on it.

*IF* he ends up getting this car - one of the recommended things is going to be a trasnmission cooler.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Is it normal for these cars to turn A/T fluid dark pretty quickly?

Yes it is. I know the fluid was almost as dark as used motor oil @ 39K miles on my 2008 Santa Fe equipped with an F4A51. I replaced it with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back