Red Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched a "Modern Marvels" about grease. Lucas "Red and Tacky" looks like the same stuff supplied to the Navy for use on arrester cables on aircraft carriers. Could it be a "repackage"? Looks like the Navy buys a lot of th estuff.

I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that the Navy doesn't buy anything from Lucas, and probably not from most other boutique vendors either. The big boys are the ones that have the resources (and motivation) to do all the testing to mil-spec certification. Mobil, Shell, BP, etc. The military and Mobil seem to have a pretty longstanding relationship. Early jet engines I've seen almost always reference a Mobil turbine oil "or equivalent meeting Mil-Std such and such."

The big companies also have worldwide distribution networks, too.

Would you consider Royco, Bel-Ray, Hatco, or Naughton Energy, the "big boys?" Those are the names I've seen on Mil Jet/Turbine oils along with hydraulic oils and greases. The only time I saw Mobil was a manufacturer specifically spec'ing Jet Oil II for a specific engine.

Mobil 28, aero 33, aero7, brayco, etc.... Are all names in the aircraft industry. Aero is from castrol and others.

Lucas is not going to make a mil spec fluid/grease yet the blender for them will so it is likely that some of the chemistry is the same or similar but not all of it.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Mobil 28, aero 33, aero7, brayco, etc.... Are all names in the aircraft industry. Aero is from castrol and others.

Lucas is not going to make a mil spec fluid/grease yet the blender for them will so it is likely that some of the chemistry is the same or similar but not all of it.

+1

That's my thought. Since the Navy buys so much of it from somebody, perhaps Lucas is buying some at a good price to package as well. Some of the greese pails shown were Mobil, but they were for other parts of the system, not the cables.

Unless Forest Lucas lowers his prices by about five times I don't see any Snake Oil products are going to a bid on specific Mil Spec items. Secondly not even sure anything he has packaged meets a mil spec anyway.

Last edited:
Many small companies supply the US Military. In fact, the government encourages participation by small businesses by offering a small business set-aside on many contracts. I routinely won bids for jet engine oil to the US Military while at Hatco, which was a small business up to its acquisition five years ago.

Tom NJ

Does the color have any relationship to the intended use? I use the red stuff in motorcycle swingarm bearings.

Last edited:
The choice of adding a red dye means little, but that said, many especially tacky greases do have the red dye. Customers seem to expect to find the red dye and the tackifier additives together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back