Whoa - there is a 10W-30 Amsoil OE DIESEL oil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Amsoil introduced OE 15W-40 for diesel engines, I made the comment 'they should really make an OE diesel 10W-30, as lots of applications call for this'.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oec.aspx

Like I thought it would be, specs are great, and it would well in gas application where one is looking for a really stout 10W-30 to use.

Very cool!

Hmm..I'll catch a lot of crud for this, but I may just try this in the VW. HTHS is high enough, TBN is nice. Interesting...

I'm not sure why Amsoil would come out with a 10W-30 after they already had a 5W-30 HDD. I would expect it to be just as good, or maybe even better for some applications though.

I've been using the 5W-30 HDD in my CAT powered RV for the last 3 years. I've had pretty good lab analysis on the yearly samples.

Yeah it looks good but if I was going in for that much money, I'd use the 5W30 HDD.

PS- But this is the OE, so it's a little less money than the HDD, I guess. I wonder what prompted Amsoil to come out with this. We are seeing more low vis diesel oils these days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I'm not sure why Amsoil would come out with a 10W-30 after they already had a 5W-30 HDD. I would expect it to be just as good, or maybe even better for some applications though.

The OE 10W-30 is API SN/CJ-4 and low SAPS.

-Dennis

Someone should try some Amsoil OE/XL 0w20 mixed with this oil for a car spec'd for 5w20/5w30 . And do a UOA as well while they are at it
laugh.gif

And if that person does that, can I have a million USD please ?

Lol j/k !

But back to the oil, looks like a winner. I like the low NOACK. Should work well in some chrystlers/dodges that still have 10w30 spec weight requirements too !

It's nice to see this type of diesel oil out from Amsoil, especially a 10w30 with a 3.6 HTHS. This may be a better alternative to the Shell Rotella T5 10w30. I will try it after my T5 racks up some miles. Would love to see how this oil holds up in the 6.0 powerstrokes and 5.9 cummins.

I've tried the ultra premium Amsoil ACD 10w30 diesel oil, and my truck ran superb, however at $130 just for the oil, it was getting too expensive. This new OE 10w30 diesel oil just may be the best alternative for those who need and desire a 10w30 full synthetic in their diesels.

OEC is not a 100% synthetic oil.

Any real world VOA/UOA/usage reports on this oil/?

Seems real similar to Kendall 10w30 "titanium" diesel oil & T5 10w30 as far as 12 vis@100 + 3.5+ numbers.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
It's nice to see this type of diesel oil out from Amsoil, especially a 10w30 with a 3.6 HTHS. This may be a better alternative to the Shell Rotella T5 10w30. I will try it after my T5 racks up some miles. Would love to see how this oil holds up in the 6.0 powerstrokes and 5.9 cummins.

I've tried the ultra premium Amsoil ACD 10w30 diesel oil, and my truck ran superb, however at $130 just for the oil, it was getting too expensive. This new OE 10w30 diesel oil just may be the best alternative for those who need and desire a 10w30 full synthetic in their diesels.

I'm sure theres a reason why its a semi synthetic.

I believe the HDD & AMO are their two CI+ oils labeled 100% synthetic.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
it would well in gas application where one is looking for a really stout 10W-30 to use.

The gasoline OE is almost $1 cheaper per quart. I'd rather use the less-expensive stuff vs. the diesel OE.

$34/gallon of Amsoil Diesel oil versus $22/gallon of Mobil Delvac 1. Hmmm.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
I'm sure theres a reason why its a semi synthetic.

I believe the HDD & AMO are their two CI+ oils labeled 100% synthetic.

OEC is a CJ-4, fully synthetic oil. The days of Amsoil selling HDEO syn-blends ended with their 'cost effective' 15w40 HDEO "PCO" a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: addyguy
it would well in gas application where one is looking for a really stout 10W-30 to use.

The gasoline OE is almost $1 cheaper per quart. I'd rather use the less-expensive stuff vs. the diesel OE.

$34/gallon of Amsoil Diesel oil versus $22/gallon of Mobil Delvac 1. Hmmm.

I love it when folks with a bent will blow information up in an attempt to prove their point. $34 a gallon for 10w30 HDEO OE? I don't use the stuff, but I decided to take a look and see if that was true. Maybe there was a price drop since the end of January, but it shows the price as $20.70. And that is just buying one gallon. Even cheaper in larger amounts.

Here are the OE oils replacement -

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-06%20at%2003.33.32_zpsx6dlq4cr.png

I posted the new Signature Series Diesel oils specs in another thread in the HDEO section here.

I would happily use any OEC/ADN oil or Kendall 10w30 titanium diesel oil or one that I've not tried yet - Schaeffer's Series 7000 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back