Rotella or Delvac 15w-40 for 09 Cummings 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Board
smile.gif
I personally like Mobil Delvac, but many like Rotella, UOA's should be about the same. Which ever is easiest to get and price would be what you should be looking at, Both offer great protection.

Toss a coin and find what is on sale. Both are good oils that you won't go wrong with. Two popular oil filters are the Fleetguard LF16035 or Donaldson ELF7349.

Have fun and WELCOME........

B

Welcome. Find whatever is most readily available and cost effective for you. Up here, at least, Rotella has the edge in availability (unless one wants oddball viscosities or sizes, since the Mobil is easier to special order) and a slight edge in price due to rollbacks.

Welcome to the boards! And great truck, btw. I personally like Delvac, but Rotella has a cult following here. Delvac also has a loyalty program where you can save up points to get stuff, should you go that route.

Again, welcome! And remember, you get what you pay for, so keep that in mind when considering advice from here or anywhere.

Welcome to the site.

If you're aware of UOAs, then please peruse here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=25&page=1

Plenty of evidence to see that many brand name quality oils perform very well.

If you want to know which is "best" for your specific situation, then you'll have to do to many tens-of-thousands of miles of testing, with many subsequent UOAs along the way. You'll have to be very dedicated to the consistent approach, and ignore all pundits, marketing hype and rhetoric.

If you just want a good oil for normal OCIs that will help make your rig last a lifetime, choose any qualified HDEO and don't give it another thought.

Again - welcome. And spend some serious time looking over all the UOAs.

Where is your vehicle kept overnight in the winter?
How many miles do you drive in a year?
If outdoors, then 15W40 is probably too thick when cold-soaked on a -20F night for safe easy starting.
In this scenario, 10W30 and Rotella T6 5W40 have followings on this forum.
If you only need to change oil once a year, or for winter use, Rotella T6 5W40 would be a cost-effective choice for your climate.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Welcome to the site.

If you're aware of UOAs, then please peruse here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=25&page=1

Plenty of evidence to see that many brand name quality oils perform very well.

If you want to know which is "best" for your specific situation, then you'll have to do to many tens-of-thousands of miles of testing, with many subsequent UOAs along the way. You'll have to be very dedicated to the consistent approach, and ignore all pundits, marketing hype and rhetoric.

If you just want a good oil for normal OCIs that will help make your rig last a lifetime, choose any qualified HDEO and don't give it another thought.

Again - welcome. And spend some serious time looking over all the UOAs.

Amen

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it.

m37charlie, You bring up some good points! I was going to run T6 in the winter time, because the vehicle does sit outside and it gets very cold in the winter time. I was going to switch back to the 15w-40 in the summer time because that's what the manual advises me to do. I'm guessing I drive about 12,000 a year with minimal towing.

Thanks again for all the imput!!

If you delete your EGR and DPF, you can run 12000 mi on 1 oil change all year long using T6 5W40. IMHO there's no harm in using a 5W40 HDEO in summer heat if the manual calls for 15W40.
The DPF can cause fuel dilution of the oil, and the EGR puts all sorts of nasty things into the oil.
Your engine will last much longer deleting the EGR. As long as oil doesn't get too thing, I don't think DPF decreases engine longevity.
I guess S. Dakota is not an air pollution area.

Charlie

delete the EGR and DPF for sure. I use Mobil Delvac in all the diesels I service, no problems. Its Cummins, not Cummings. I cant for the life of me get my dad to say it right lol

I have about a year and a half left of warranty and then I'll do the deletes for sure! I was typing to fast and mispelled it, but I do know it was supposed to be spelled. My dad is like on a few thing to. You tell them, but it don't matter.

I guess delo has lost favor since their formula change... their seem to be a lot of people who preferred the old Delo 15W-40 when their formula was still loaded with lots of moly.

For the cold in your area, you do not have to shell out a bunch of cash for a super grade of oil for cold starting. You can do like we did in Alaska... get an oil pan heater. It can be plugged in, on a timer if you choose to, and you will get oil to the top like a warm summer day on start up. In conjunction with a block heater, you have a winning combination for the coldest climates. Oil pan heaters are cheap and easy to install. They don't use a lot of electricity. There is not one piece of equipment I own or vehicle that I have owned for 3 decades that did not have one. My new semi, when I ordered it, came with not only a block heater, but per my spec's, an oil pan heater already installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back