2008 Cayenne S.....what oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I just got a 2008 Cayenne S and I'm doing an oil change soon

I know factory recommends Mobil 1 0w40 but it's not REQUIRED right?

I'm thinking of using LubroMoly Super Synthetic 0w40, anyone have any idea if that's okay? (something about A40 spec?)

Thanks

Originally Posted By: brandini
Amsoil 5w-40 Euro meets Porsche A40 spec, is available in Canada as well.

Not to split hairs, but it is recommended for use where the A40 spec is required. AFL is not tested against to meet any OEM specification. Amsoil is very careful to use the 'recommended for' or 'meets/exceeds specifications' wording.

Mobil 1 0w40 is available in Canada and Porsche approved.

So Mobil 1 is the only oil to use? I've always thought sponsored oil have business/marketing/money stuff going on behind the curtains...

I've used LubroMoly on my S5 before no problem at all, and since both are designed by VW..............

I've used Castrol 5w-40 as well as M1 0w-40 in our '04 Cayenne. Never noticed any difference; this over the course of 6 winter months with primarily stop and go driving of 8 mile commute.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf

Last edited:
I found 2 LiquiMoly oils that neet A40 standard...

1. LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH | 5W-40 (this is probably in german..?)
(part no. 3864 or 3863)

2. SYNTHOIL ENERGY | 0W-40 (part no. 1361)

I guess they are okay if they meet the spec

Hi reyoasian and welcome to BITOG!

Yes if the Lubro Moly 0W-40 has the Porsche A40 approval you can of course use it with confidence. The thing about M1 0W-40 is that it is so good it's virtually impossible to find anything that's better.
For example the Cdn made version of M1 0W-40 has a 187 viscosity index. There isn't any A40 oil with a VI that high and very few none A40 30wt and 40wt oils for that matter.

Having said that, if the LM 0W-40 is significantly cheaper than the 9 bucks/L sale price of M1 then sure go for it.

This is the official Porsche A40 list:
www.wrightune.co.uk/downloads/approved_oils.pdf

I don't see Lubro Moly on this list, but it's more than 3 years old, so it may not include everything. Or LM didn't officially gain the approval but it's just "recommended for" like Amsoil. In any case, if the car is out of warranty, then I wouldn't be concerned whether the oil has actually been Porsche certified or just "recommended for".

BTW, Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 that's on the list is the same as Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 and would also be a viable option if you can find it for less than M1 0w-40.

I would use Mobil 1 0w40. It's the best 0w40 on the market. You won't find a better oil.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Why would I not want to use Mibil 1 0W40?

Because it doesn't exist.
lol.gif

This is such a warm community, nice and humourous people and fast replies. I'm starting to like it here!

It's in PDF format, do you have acrobat reader?

I'm thinking there must be updated version like 2012

It isn't required, but it's probably the best cost/performance compromise you'll find in North America, since most of the other oils on the Porsche list can't be found readily on the west coast of the Atlantic.
I know that M1 is never as cheap north of the boarder as it is here, but I don't think you'll find an appropriate oil for less money in Canada.
You have an expensive SUV that calls for an oil that meets very specific performance standards, in return for which you get long OCIs.
Use a spec oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back