2008 Hyundai Sonata Temp Loss of Power Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's Sonata (4cyl, AT, 75k miles) has a temporary loss of power steering when coming off of the freeway. This has only happened a handful of times in the past year and it only lasts a couple of seconds. It happens while braking thankfully, so she is already slowing the car down anyway.

Any ideas as what it could be?

TIA.

I have a 2007 Sonata 4-cyl and I've done quite a bit of reading on Hyundai forums about this. Most people, including me, experience the exact same problem you do. It shows up when you exit the interstate.

There are two main causes:
1 - Crank pulley separating. This is more common on the V6 models, but does happen on the 4 cyl, too. The pulley has a rubber ring that starts coming apart, allowing the outer part of the pulley to stop spinning or spin more slowly than the crankshaft. That causes the power steering to stop working, since the belt isn't turning the pump fast enough.

2 - The belt is slipping for some reason.

I had the exact same problem as you. On mine, it wasn't the crank pulley. I checked it and it was fine.

on mine, there was lots of gunk built up on the pulleys, including the PS pulley. It was down in the grooves of the pulley. I would guess it was oil or the belt itself breaking down. I scraped the gunk off the pulleys, put on a new belt and it fixed the problem. I went with a Bando belt. Made in Japan and fit well.

Replacing the belt isn't too tough, you have to jack up the car and take off the passenger wheel. You remove a small access panel and then you can get at the tensioner. A long-pattern wrench (17mm, if memory serves) makes releasing the tensioner easier. I just doubled-up two wrenches.

Last edited:
Stephen, thanks for the quick reply. I'll check the areas you pointed and see what I find. Many thanks!!

BTW - this would be a good chance to check the bearings in the idler pulleys. There are a total of three. All of mine were getting rough at around 65k miles.

It's far cheaper to just replace the bearings in the pulleys, which is what I did. It's easy to do if you have a vise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back