Front End Squeak - Brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back, I started a thread about my 2008 Nissan Frontier and an annoying squeak I was having in the front end. Every time the wheel even gets 1 degree off of dead center to the right, I'll get a squeak as the suspension flexes. Pothole = squeak. Minor bump = quieter squeak. Immediately swing the wheel to the left, and the squeak goes away. The thought then was this could be a sway bar bushing - I lubed it up good with silicone spray but the squeak didn't go away. Haven't gotten annoyed/motivated enough to do much else.

This vehicle has been on the rack at the dealer and an independent mechanic in the last six months, both haven't found anything obvious in the front end. But I also told them that I didn't want to spend a fortune chasing down a squeak. .

Went to a different place recently that decided that the brakes on that side were stuck/rusty and that was causing it. They cleaned and lubed the brakes, but also noted that the rotors were extremely rusty and getting thin which might be causing it too. Recommendation = new rotors/pads all the way around. BTW - the cleaning and lubing of the brakes did nothing for the squeak.

I won't dispute the need for new pads, and assume they actually measured the rotors. But I will double check that myself. They are groved enough to think about resurfacing/ replacing anyway - and it's probably cheaper just to replace. I've done a brake jobs before on my 90's chevy truck, so think this is something I should be able to tackle myself. YouTube is around now too, which is a godsend. I've watched about 4 videos of people doing pad and rotor replacement on Frontiers, and it's pretty straightforward.

My question? Explain to me how rusty brakes/rotors would cause the squeaking symptoms I have. I get that brakes can make all kinds of noise, but how could this only happen in the specific set of circumstances I have? (turning right, etc). I'm curious, but will admit my lack of automobile knowledge up front.

I'm also thinking this would be a good topic to bring up to determine how honest/knowledgeable this mechanic is.

I believe there is a TSB for something similar to what you describe. My wife's 05 Xterra squeaked on any bump or pothole, but steering didn't matter. We got rid of it before looking into fixing it.

I'd spray every bushing/suspension connection point with something like wd-40

if it goes away.. wait until it comes back and spray 1-2 at a time.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
A while back, I started a thread about my 2008 Nissan Frontier and an annoying squeak I was having in the front end. Every time the wheel even gets 1 degree off of dead center to the right, I'll get a squeak as the suspension flexes. Pothole = squeak. Minor bump = quieter squeak. Immediately swing the wheel to the left, and the squeak goes away. The thought then was this could be a sway bar bushing - I lubed it up good with silicone spray but the squeak didn't go away. Haven't gotten annoyed/motivated enough to do much else.

This vehicle has been on the rack at the dealer..

Tell your dealer to look at TSB #NTB-10-072A NHTSA ID #10034904
"Summary: NISSAN: FRONT SUSPENSION NOISE. A NOISE (CLUNKING, SQUEAKING, POPPING) CAN BE HEARD WHEN PERFORMING AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS: TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL LEFT OR RIGHT, DRIVING OVER SPEED BUMPS, DRIVING ON ROUGH ROADS.."
(The free TSB lookup only provides the problem description)

I'll give the dealer a call. I hope it's something this simple! *crossed fingers*. Thanks. Otherwise, when I do the front pads I'll get my can of spray out and hit everything. I have noticed that it doesn't squeak when wet - but not sure if that's because the problem is intermittant, or the water lubes something.

So, at this point I'm assuming the brakes squeaking while cornering is probably a ways down on the list of possible solutions, if at all? I know how hard it is to chase down rattles/squeaks so don't want to point fingers at this shop, but since it's my first time there I'm trying to see how much I should trust their advice.

Found this on the NHTSA website. They also have TSB info.

Emphasis added by me:
Quote:
NISSAN: FRONT SUSPENSION NOISE. A NOISE (CLUNKING, SQUEAKING, POPPING) CAN BE HEARD WHEN PERFORMING AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS: TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL LEFT OR RIGHT, DRIVING OVER SPEED BUMPS, DRIVING ON ROUGH ROADS, ACCELERATING OR DECELERATING AND NOISE IS COMING FROM THE FRONT STABILIZER BAR BUSHING. *PE

I assume they mean the bushing that bolts the bar to the body, and not the link to the bar, but I'm not familiar with this application, so I could be wrong.

My girlfriend's VW Beetle had a bad suspension rattle that took me a while to track down. It turned out to be the body-to-bar stabilizer bushings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TWG1572
...I'm assuming the brakes squeaking while cornering is probably a ways down on the list of possible solutions, if at all? ...

Correct.

Also I would not use WD40. "Super Lube" is what we used to use at the dealer for this sort of thing.

For anti-sway bar frame to bar mounts you will probably have to take them apart and use some sort of thick paste to do much good with them. We used to use a silicone paste from Kent.

Has any suspension work been done on it? Tightening suspension components without the weight of the vehicle on them can cause all sorts of strange noises.

No real mechanical work has been done on this truck in it's 85K miles. Only fluid/filter changes, tires, and a fuel sender recall. So I don't think any suspension components have been messed with. Lots of highway miles, so it lives a relatively easy life.

When I'm doing the brakes I'll try and get a better look at the sway bar bushing from the TSB. A bit of Googling has the hood supports and front body mount as likely suspects too. I don't think it's the hood supports, because I tested it with the hood popped and it still squeaked. Body mount is something I never looked at though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back