Are one of these OE?

I replaced the front hubs on my 02 Avalanche 2500. These are what came out. The one on the left was drivers side, making a little squeak sound I could hear when driving next to a wall, but had no discernable play. The one on the right didn't make any noise that I heard, but had a little wobble in it. Both needed to be replaced in any event.

So obviously one is not like the other. I "think" the right one is OE? Or maybe both have been replaced at some point. Because I'm in the salt belt, both were equally rusty on the back. I was just curious if anyone might know and appreciate anybody to share their knowledge.

Also, yes, I replaced them with Mevotech supreme, their "mid grade" of the three offered. 330 bucks apiece for OE, and these came with the hardware at 200 for both on rockauto. Peoples opinion on this brand isn't always glowing, but these were what I could afford and had the bits I needed also included, I had to use extractors for four of the 8 bolts so no reusing those. I figured I'd get that fact out of the way. Thanks!

IMG_20231128_161654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just replaced my drivers side on my 05 1500 Avalanche 2 WD today with a NAPA. I hope it lasts even half as long as the OE. I agree, the OE is on the right. You do realize how rare the 2500 Avalanche is?

NAPA should be good. I would take their house brand over most out there, I may be wrong but it seemed as though their stuff was always quite good.

Yea, I had to look around for a while to find one of these. No real good reason, I just always liked the Avalanche, and the 2500 seemed like a good upgrade because I have a few things to pull. I had a few to choose from, all well away from where I live. Pretty sure I bought the worst of them, this thing was/is a basket case. Getting better, and starting to catch up on the needs. Still trying to track down a clunking from the drivers front, loudest in reverse, very occasional in forward. Bearing didn't address it, shocks helped a little. Everything else seems tight. I would have got something else, but the prices exploded after I bought this thing.

You will be fine with those and should get atleast a few years out of them. NAPA isn't all they used to be (except more expensive) since they're carrying basically what everyone else is so you did good.

Still trying to track down a clunking from the drivers front, loudest in reverse, very occasional in forward.
Mine had the clunk in the front end when I bought it 10 years ago. I finally figured out that I really had to stay on top of greasing the front end at every oil change or it would start clunking again. There’s one grease fitting in the center that’s hard to see and easy to miss that was causing the clunk. It would do it mainly in slow tight turns but mine is quiet now as long as it has plenty of grease.

Mine had the clunk in the front end when I bought it 10 years ago. I finally figured out that I really had to stay on top of greasing the front end at every oil change or it would start clunking again. There’s one grease fitting in the center that’s hard to see and easy to miss that was causing the clunk. It would do it mainly in slow tight turns but mine is quiet now as long as it has plenty of grease.
Thank you for that, but I've pumped grease in everything a few times in the last 2000 miles. It's possible something needs replacing, but can't see any wobble.

Back