80k mile tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for new tires for the Elantra in my signature. I don't know much about tires and have only bought a few sets in my lifetime. The last set of tires I bought were 40,000 mile tires and I rotated them regularly and got 60k of use out of them before selling the car. They still looked ok when I sold it. The price difference is around $100 for me to go for 80,000 mile tires vs the 40,000 mile ones. I know that the tire brand probably makes a difference but my question is this:
In general, does an 80,000 mile tire last significantly longer than a 40,000 mile tire?

Ive never had an issue getting 70-80k miles out of a setr of tires. Often by the time 60-70k comes around, the tread is still pretty complete (50% or so), but the tires are UV cracked and dryrotting...

IMO it is all how you keep them and how you drive. Of course some, like UHP tires will last less because of the compounds...

After 40k the OEM tires on my Sonata were shot, I put on Goodyear 80k tires. At 30k miles the tires are practically new, but they are LOUDER than the OEM ones were. Harder to last longer perhaps?

John

At this point in my life, I only buy summer performance tires w/ tread wear ratings at 360 or below (no mileage spec)

IMO, when you buy these super hard compound tires, you may get the mileage but forget about any form of performance or safety (Dont like tires that are close to rock hard)

I would stick w/the lower cost 40K tire & do your rotations like you did before

You want to burn through those miles in approx six years due to "crack rot". Michelin used to have a tire with a six year, unlimited mileage guarantee. Once you wore through half the rubber, you encounter a rock hard compound that'll last seemingly forever. Wonder if they still make it.

I drive about 24k a year, so I can't speak of rotting, but I can say I took a set of Michelins to about 80k on my Civic, replaced them with Pirelli P4s and they only made it a bit past 40k, I replaced them with Michelin Harmonys which I guess are now Defenders. I've only had them since Jan., so we'll see. Everything has always been aligned and rotated. All of them performed just fine in rain, snow, sleet whatever and hold the road on an off ramp as much as my economy commuter car will ever need. One tire shop tried to sell me performance tires and I had to remind them what I drive, and why I drive it.

I know my Dad put a bunch of miles on a set of Yokohama Avids, as he drives about as much as I do. They worked fine in Upstate NY winters too.

FWIW about 6 years ago I put a set of Goodyear Assurance Tripletread on my mom's Grand Marquis. I got them for the 80K mileage with the H speed rating. 6 years later and about 35k miles and they tires are cracking. Never again, going with Primacy's or Pilot Sport A/S, she only wants Michelin, at least it will feel better getting rid of the tires for wear.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
FWIW about 6 years ago I put a set of Goodyear Assurance Tripletread on my mom's Grand Marquis. I got them for the 80K mileage with the H speed rating. 6 years later and about 35k miles and they tires are cracking. Never again, going with Primacy's or Pilot Sport A/S, she only wants Michelin, at least it will feel better getting rid of the tires for wear.

Lol cracking after six years of use or in your case lack there of is something pretty much all tires do. Tires , believe it or not, do have an expiration time frame. It's unfortunate that you didn't get your complete mileage worth before dry rot. Partly that's also because she didnt drive as much. I do not think this is a manufacture or tire model specific issue, more of a ' I wasn't able to finish my gallon of milk before it expired' issue.

I don't know if you tried contacting customer svc for your issue. We have had quite a few people who were helped out in that way at our store. Even when Goodyear could deny any claim, they ended up prorating a new set for the customer. You might try your luck with them. If you end up with Michelins , I recommend the Primacy MXM4. Good all season traction , 500 treadwear and quiet tires.

I would say that an 80k tire is going to not be the greatest performer out there I have seen 60k rated and would stick with that or below otherwise ride and performance may take a drop...

Road surface plays huge in the factor of tire life. I drive very easy on my rated 80k mile Cooper CS4 spending most of my time at 55mph, it just so happens that my commute is on a road that has been covered rock chips cemented to the surface. While showing remarkable improvement in cold/wet weather grip over normal smooth asphalt, it is at the expense of tire life. Consequently I can get only get about 40-50K miles out of the tire before wear bars.

The stock tires that came with the car also suffered quicker wear so I am more certain its the road surface.

I am pondering the Defenders simply for economic reasons, however they haven't been out long enough to get feedback on actual tire life.

Last edited:
I kinda hate to buy one, since I'll never get 80k out of them.

I do too much city driving to get 80k out of a 80k tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back