Transfer Case Leak...Synthetic versus Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Mazda 4WD ES Tribute (essentially a Ford Escape). The owners manual calls for 75W/140 SYNTHETIC gear oil in the transfer case, which is what I've been using over the years. I have 110K miles and recently developed a small leak in the output seal of the transfer case. I was considering trying Auto-RX or White Shepherd to fix this leak, but scared off by some of the stories I've heard with these additives causing other seals to start leaking instead of fixing the problem. So, I was thinking of just putting in conventional gear oil instead of synthetic to see if this might fix the problem? Do you think this is OK or would I be setting myself up for additional problems if I tried this?

No harm in trying a conventional oil.

However, miracles in a bottle do not cure mechanical issues. If the seal is leaking, replace it.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Replace the seal if it is an external tap in type, 30min work and problem solved.

30 min? Your hired!
It can take quite a bit longer to get access.

I would not go mineral oil. There is a reason for that viscosity spread.
If it is external access, it might be 30 min or less to pull out the seal and replace.
If it is internal, I'd try a sealant. They are esters that will expand seals of certain types. Can't hurt unless you put too much in.

Of course there is the Bolivian solution: Wrap a tampon around it.

IMG_7708.jpg

What part of the transfer case is the leak coming from? This is a top view of a CX-7/9, but it is the same basic idea.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies. Thx everyone. To answer an earlier post, it is wet, not leaking. I also talked to a couple of mechanics and they said it would be a two hour job to replace the output shaft seal. I'm getting quotes for about $170+ to do the job, so that is why I was looking for a simple fix. If it takes a mechanic two hours, then it would likely take me twice as long and this is why I was looking for a quick, easy fix.

I'm a newbie to this forum and I can't yet figure out how to insert a picture from my PC in this reply. So, in your picture, the leak is originating from the aluminum flange (the tapered flange that shows four vertical ridges in your picture and is under the left part of the blue plastic in your picture. This flange in turn connects to the rusted iron shaft to the right of it). The leak itself originates from between this flange and the transfer case to the left it (the flange itself is dry). I was told at the dealership that the "pinion seal" was leaking, so I am assuming that this simply means the output shaft seal. Note that I just recently cleaned the transfer case and put in new oil synthetic oil after I was told I had a leak. Before the entire bottom of the transfer case was wet (but not so much that it was dripping).

Here is a picture of an output shaft seal for this car:

shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_oil-seal-national_3267016-p?searchTerm=output+shaft+seal

I started getting some heavy weeping outta the transfer case on my RX. Switched it back to Mineral oil, and the weeping stopped. For now anyway.

Never mind, I crawled under there last night and it is still weeping some. Though not as bad as when Synthetic was in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back