K-Seal Coolant Leak Repair Review

I'm not into canned stuff to fix engine issues and the only other time I bought something like it was a bottle of Rislone oil additive. It was $5 or $6 and I wanted to see if it makes the engine quieter and it had good reviews and my friend recommended it and said he had good results ... I knew better but I bought one and it did nothing for me. I should've bought a bottle of real moly instead! lol j/k

My second attempt using this kind of stuff was last week when I tried a small blue bottle of K-Seal to fix some coolant leak near the water pump area. I think that's where it's leaking but not %100 sure. This is one of my very old cars (2005) that I don't want to dump any money into and it will cost about $1500 to change the water pump, timing belt, etc. in addition to any other surprises (i.e. dump more $) when the mechanic gets his hand on ...

So I decided to sped $13 and see what K-Seal does while I make up my mind and if I want to do a real fix ... It also has very good reviews!

Long story long, I've been very surprised and impressed by its performance so far! It fixed the leak after the first drive and it hasn't leaked any since last week (150+ miles of driving). Before that, It was leaking about 18-24 fl.oz. overnight. Now it's been a week and not a drop!

Maybe too early to celebrate and most likely I won't be driving the car more than 40 miles away from home but curious to see what happens in the next few weeks.
I also bought Bar's leak for $9 as a backup. Basically that was my budget for a quick fix to see if they work or not.

Is it a temporary band-aid? At least in case of emergency and away from home, it might not be bad idea to keep a bottle in the car!

Do you guys have any experience with K-Seal?

Is yours still holding up?

I added mine directly to the radiator and it's still in there. I see copper looking particles floating in there when I open the radiator cap.

I don't think I'm going to flush the radiator but need to read the instructions. iirc, it's ok to leave it in there. The car is old, if it dies, it dies. lol

Having said that, I will never ever add these kind of products to my new(er) cars without extensive research. This was a don't care car.

Is yours still holding up?

I added mine directly to the radiator and it's still in there. I see copper looking particles floating in there when I open the radiator cap.

I don't think I'm going to flush the radiator but need to read the instructions. iirc, it's ok to leave it in there. The car is old, if it dies, it dies. lol

Having said that, I will never ever add these kind of products to my new(er) cars without extensive research. This was a don't care car.
Nine + months later and the K-Seal working great. Hard to believe but wow this stuff solved a major issue, and no known side effects whatsoever. I am not a "believer" in magic in a bottle, but this stuff made me a believer of their product and claims.

This worked for my coworkers leaking thermostat housing a few weeks ago. He tried it upon my recommendation. Because I had an f150 a few years ago with a mystery slight coolant loss and $10 later k-seal solved the problem.

No experience with K seal but I would be willing to roll the dice with a can of Blue Devil. Read the instructions twice and follow them to the letter.

Paco

I am listening to episodes of “under the hood” podcasts, a gentleman called in about his Ford Camper, I can’t recall the vintage but probably 90s. He claimed he called into the show a year before, he tried K-seal to fix a freeze plug in a hard to reach area and reported that it was still holding up.

Is your heater core still working in the winter would be my first question, second would be is the radiator still providing enough Cooling on a hot summer day?

Most of the times anything you pour into a radiator that isn't an actual pure liquid but has particles in it is going to reduce the ability of the heater core and or radiator to exchange Heat. Often to the extent that those items have to be replaced also in the entire system flushed out very well along with fixing the original problem.

I once worked with a woman who told me that her car has been in the garage with her husband working on it for a couple of weeks because he had to rip out the entire Dash to replace a heater core after using a bottle product that was supposed to fix a minor leak, and after he added that product the car interior became too cold to drive in the winter time.

I wondered if these stuff can leak somewhere not intended for and for example stick and cause issues with valves, spark plugs or rings, get into crankcase, etc. That's why I won't use them in my good cars without more research!

Back