Brake noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 98' volvo, after bout 30min of driving my passenger rear disk brake starts making a very loud squealing/scraping sound. (even when the brake is not pushed)

Would this most likely be a sign of the caliper or the pads needing to be replaced?

Last edited:
Brake pads have a piece of sheet metal that starts to scrape the rotor when the pads need replacing. It makes a God awful noise on some cars. You have plenty of pad left to plan out the brake job, but don't let it go for too long.

Typically the caliper only needs replacing it the piston cannot be pushed back in or there is obvious damage to the seal.

Or the brake pad is gone and the rotor has worn a groove in the caliper piston.

Last edited:
I took the wheel off and the pads look like they have a medium amount left on them.

The reason I'm suspecting the calipers is that even when the brakes aren't being pushed it still makes a "scraping/squealing" sound. (although it does become louder when i'm using the brakes)

So I'm still not sure if it's the pads or calipers. =/

Use a c-clamp and fully retract the caliper piston while the caliper is still mounted. After doing so, see if the caliper slides smoothly....if it doesn't then you have a problem.

logcar -
You have to dig deeper. Seems like you have enough pad, but a wear sensor could be hitting. They are not NASA spec'd - just a piece of sheet metal.
Sticking caliper sliders or pistons are common and should be checked. Might as well lube the pins it's pretty easy.
Good luck.

Those wear indicators had better be set when the pads are installed. They are rarely correct right out of the box.

But there are too many details to list here, good luck chasing it down...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Those wear indicators had better be set when the pads are installed. They are rarely correct right out of the box.

But there are too many details to list here, good luck chasing it down...

Steve, I actually remove them on my own pads.
[But not a customer's!]

Update:

I took the car to my local mechanic, and it turns out the pads were defective some way....put new pads and rotors on and I'm rolling like new again.

(and in case anyone is wondering: I used Napa AdaptiveOne pads and Napa premium rotors)

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Excellent choice of pad, those are really sweeeeeeet....
Can't agree more, I have them on all of my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back