Cherokee 4.0 fuel system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to look at a 98 Cherokee this weekend . The owner says it usually requires cycling the key twice for it to start. Almost sounds like the fuel pump loses its prime, but I'm not familiar with these fuel system. Thoughts?

That's not an uncommon thing. The fuel pump/filter is a pretty typical module in the tank, and not difficult to replace apart from dropping the tank down (not hard either if you do it with 1/8 to 1/4 tank left).

A leaking pressure check valve like that isn't a sign the pump's about to fail, but its probably a good idea to go ahead and replace it. Don't get the cheapest Rock Auto or Autozone replacement module, either. Go with a good one.

That is a very common problem on the 1997-2001 Cherokees. The problem is the fuel check valve. If the jeep sits overnight it will lose its prime and you will have to cycle the key twice then start it. Otherwise it will take longer to crank. This usually only happens on a cold start though. On a warm start it will start like normal.

The fuel check valve is part of the fuel pump in the tank. The job requires dropping the tank and replacing the pump. I recommend getting the Bosch fuel pump. RockAuto.com sells the part for $310, and you can swap it in an afternoon.

Other than that, 1998 is a good year for the Cherokee and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. 1998 and 1999 are considered the best years for the Cherokee.

I had the fuel pump relay go out on my 99 Cherokee a couple of months ago, and if I remember correct, I could get it started by cycling the key 2 or 3 times as well. A new relay solved my problem.

Always wanted a 98 Cherokee, a Dark Green one, with the AX15 5 speed behind the 4.0, a NP231, and Non-ABS Chrysler 8 1/4 rear axle Dana 30 HIGH Pinion front. With the Tan/Black interior. I found this Identical XJ in a junkyard when Cash for Clunkers was going. Almost cried.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Always wanted a 98 Cherokee, a Dark Green one, with the AX15 5 speed behind the 4.0,........

I've got a '97 4.0 with a manual tranny. I've never been a Jeep/Chrysler person, but it's a worthwhile vehicle. I think I would have almost cried also.

My 96 has the AX-15 5 Speed, I have had other Cherokees with manual trannz as well, but no late model XJs(1997thru2001) with a manual,..Yet. My 99 2 wheel drive has the AW-4 as does my recently aquired 2000 with a cracked 0331 head and my beloved 2001 SilverStone Metallic Sport with only 64,820 miles.

Thanks, guys, this confirms my thoughts. One more thing - this thing has 180k miles. How durable is the AW auto trans? Thanks!

Always wanted a 98 Cherokee, a Dark Green one, with the AX15 5 speed behind the 4.0, a NP231, and Non-ABS Chrysler 8 1/4 rear axle Dana 30 HIGH Pinion front. With the Tan/Black interior. I found this Identical XJ in a junkyard when Cash for Clunkers was going. Almost cried.

Substitute red for dark green and a grey interior for tan, and that's my daughter's '99. 2-door, also. I love that Jeep much more than the 2001 I drive... but I also love my daughter and she's really attached to it. ;-)

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Thanks, guys, this confirms my thoughts. One more thing - this thing has 180k miles. How durable is the AW auto trans? Thanks!

The AW-4 is a cockroach transmission. It shifts like a worn-out Allison behind a Detroit Diesel in a 1975 Greyhound bus. It runs hot because it has huge internal losses and kills your gas mileage. And with routine maintenance it will last over 200k miles. It Just. Won't. Die. :-/ It'll be making you wish you had a 5-speed for the rest of your life. As already stated, a cooler is a big help because of the heat this kind of early electronic transmission generates. Its not quite as bad in that regard is a Chrysler 41TE, but it comes close.

Keep the AW-4 Cool with a Big Aftermarket cooler and It will go Long Time.

This. The AW4 trans is considered as bulletproof as the 4.0L. I've seen them submerged in water, run very low on fluid, etc and they still hold up.

I just replaced the fuel pump in my 97 Cherokee a few months ago with a Bosch 67658 that I got from Amazon for $240 and free shipping. Very easy job to do. I recommend you drop the tank completely out so you can clean the inside, mine wasn't real bad, but it did have a thin layer of "gunk" on the bottom.
As stated above a trans cooler is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back