How effective is Bar's Leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Bars Leaks 3 times, and it has worked 3 times. I think the condition of the radiator is important, and it probably won't fix a leaky clogged up radiator, a good flush first is essential.

It should work with Dexcool as it says on the bottle "works with all modern antifreeze mixtures, including OAT mixtures". I think it may work better if the system is drained, flushed and the Bars Leaks added to plain water. That said, I have just added some to my car, with green stuff still in the system.

I have used various products over the years. Neither Barr's Leaks nor anything else I have used lasted indefinitely. If you have an engine with Dex Cool in it, I would look for a more permanent fix. I am new to Dex Cool, but from what I have read, much of the problems seem to come in systems that lose coolant and are run low.

Used it Twice, both times for suspected head gasket leaks, coolant seeping into combustion chamber when really cold and gasket contracts permitting coolant in.

One case I had to replace the radiator within a month of the stop leak. Another, it seems to have worked and have had the drain and fill (not a flush) of coolant since then and still seems okay.

IMO, use as a last resort in lieu of new gasket or radiator. Nothing to lose scenario

Stop Leak works but it also clogs the passages in the cooling system, and if you flush the system with a strong cleaner it will start leaking again. Course ground pepper will seal small leaks too, and its cheaper, its even free from McDonalds.

If it is junker that you need 6 more months out of, try the bars leaks, it does work (for about 6 months). If this is your long term ride, fix the leak.

I had a 17 year old cadillac cimarron (don't laugh
smile.gif
) that had a pinhole in the heater core that re-frosted my windshield. After bar's leak, it de-frosted like designed.

They say it clogs heater cores, I said "oh yes please."
smile.gif

Saturn has "coolant pellets" that it tells you in the owner's manual to use whenever the radiator is drained. This is on the green ethylene but probably dexcool as well.

Did you know that the main ingrediant in Bars leaks is horse poop!

Thats what the rep told us many years ago. makes sense since if the bottles sit too long on the shelf they will explode!

Methane gas I guess.

How effective is Bar's Leaks? I have heard that it is actually installed in the factory in new cars/trucks. I don't trust DexCool. Instead of stopping leaks DexCool seems to cause them. Can Bar's Leaks be used in DexCool coolant and is it effective and safe to use?

Just found this BM from Ford

quote:

Premium Gold Coolant Discolored:
Some customers owning 2002 trucks may notice their cooolant appearing light golden to dark brown. This is due to discoloration caused by stop leak pellets added to the coolant reservoir at the factory. The discoloration does not affect the coolant protection. Installation of the pellets does not represent a problem with the cooling systems, and is done as a standard practice on many new vehicles. The formulation of the pellets is being changed to prevent the discoloration effect. Braodcast Message 3324

So that stop leak can't be all that bad, can it?

Dave

I fixed a radiator leak with JB weld one time. It was small hole, bigger than a pin prick but not by much. I guess it was about the size of a small nail. It might have been too big for one of these products to work, but I’m not sure.

I just drained the radiator to below the level of the hole, and then cleaned it up with some carb cleaner stuff. I mixed the JB Weld and put it on the hole. I let it dry over night, and then refilled the radiator. The fix held for as long as I owned that car, which was several years.

It was an easy fix, and I didn’t have to worry about a leak stopper product either failing or clogging my radiator.

I asked because it seems I am having to add to the plastic tank too often without a sign of a leak. The last oil report was however a long time ago but the truck has never run better. No visable leak and someone said that there may be air in the system. I never replaced the radiator cap and guess I will do that next.
dunno.gif

Air in the system? From what? Did you drain it and refill it, and later find out that your cooling system needs to be bled afterwards? Long-term coolant loss means a leak. It can be a rubber leak (replace offending hose), it can be a metal leak (you *might* be able to seal it with a good two part epoxy, depending on where), it can be boiling out, leaking past a failed gasket, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean leaking onto the ground. It can leak into your oil, too, giving you the impression of "disappearing" coolant. It's even worse if you've seen it on a car that also leaks a good bit of oil. Then the oil will not overfill.
frown.gif

Anyway, the weaker (regular) Bar's Leak does an OK job, and carries very low risk of clogging. The stronger varieties last longer, and can plug leaks in gaskets pretty well, but they also carry a greater risk of clogging passages. Some of them (like the copper Bar's Leak or K&W Block Seal) are incompatible with antifreeze and require you to backflush your system with pure water before use. You then flush and replace with 50/50 after the sealer has done its job, or at least that's the idea.

As for chemical flushes, I'm not a big fan of them, unless you are desperate to de-clog your system. Many of them can be damaging to metal. Most of your flush kits allow you to do a reasonable job of backflushing without needing chemicals.

Thanks for a responce. I think the extreamly hot summer and infrequency of which my truck was driven may have added to the decline of coolent. But I agree there may be a small coolent leak going someware.That is why I thought those tabs or Barrs might help. Last year my son put a water pump and all new hoses & belts with Prestone. Only one summer(HOT) later it seems the tank needed fluid too often. I read about Prestone and find it hard to comprehend a product I have used forever now may be causing some trouble within the formula.I Just put it in 2 of my other cars and wonder if I should flush it out and run some Toyota red. If Prestone let me down after all these years they deserve their fate.I never leave coolent in more than 24 months anyway.By the way he put a new thermostat also and I I flush like RAY does and fill as I always have so I think after 11 years my truck may have a coolent leak.I think I will send Terry a sample of the oil and see.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back