Gas and MMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does gas in NA have any MMT in it. If is does would premium have more, since it is higher octane? And would the gas have enought MMT to reduce valve recession or do you need to buy aftermarket MMT?

Thanks

From what I understand, it was banned from gasoline in the US, but it still remains in Canadian gasoline. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just did a Internet search on MMT. You are right, most US gas supplies do not have it yet, but it is not banned now as best as I understand. It was at one time, however. I found some nasty reports on emissons problems and even valve leakage due to deposits with the legal US limit.

You can find cons and pros reports to defend just about any positon on it. I wish I understood if it really would add any engine life to the valves and upper engine parts without causing problems.
dunno.gif

[ March 02, 2003, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Fillherup ]

MolaKule, MMT. Canada tried to ban it failed in the courts. In the USA, the EPA tried to ban it, but lost in the upper courts,also.

It looks like most USA gas companies will not touch it. Maybe that is why Pennsoil calls it 'Outlaw'. Kind of strange, since it has been around for a long time, as I understand.

I was wanting to use some for additional valve protection per your comments, but now I am not sure of the risk or the octane increase boost that may be too much for my engine. May just go with a UCL.

Well Filler, it's like anything else, if used according to instructions and not abused,
you shouldn't get an overdose.

On the Outlaw,do you use it and the full can, if you do? Would't you need to use it all the time or can you get some results by say using every other tank?

From the maker, Ethyl Corp:

Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl

Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is an organic manganese compound fuel additive designed to boost octane levels in gasoline. Scientists at Ethyl Corporation developed MMT in the 1950s to reduce common engine knock in automobiles.

Ethyl has successfully marketed MMT for over 20 years. MMT is sold globally, primarily for use in unleaded gasoline and diesel fuels. MMT is currently used in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, as well as Central and South America.

It also functions as a lead sub and helps in VSR(valve seat regression). This is my main interest. All kinds of legal actions against it over the years. Ethyl usually wins, but almost no use in NA gas today- just our Canada friends have it.

You primarly find it as an octane booster. Also some marketing as VSR additive only or octance booster with VSR benefit. Found Amsoil site that did this, for example.

At work, they've extended the vocabulary to ETLAs
(Extended Three Letter Acronyms). We were stuck on TLAs for a hell of a long time.

Anyone know what they are using down under ?

I've read one manufacturer mention it being sodium based, but that's the sum of it.

MMT is an Ethyl product.
methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl
http://www.ethyl.com/nav/default.asp?sec=products&page=pa

I believe it is currently used in Shell gas. I have a friend that works for Ethyl that knows quite a bit about it:

quote:

MMT
MMT is a fuel additive that economically provides octane enhancement while reducing the amount of crude oil necessary to produce gasoline. Ethyl has manufactured and marketed MMT for more than twenty years. Although currently sold primarily in Canada, MMT is gaining support in new markets around the world. MMT provides a number of scientifically proven environmental benefits while posing no harm to automotive emission systems or human health.
MMT helps reduce refinery emissions of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas linked to global warming. When used in unleaded gasoline, MMT can reduce exhaust pollutants such as oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide, known contributors to urban smog. The US EPA has acknowledged that vehicles using unleaded gasoline containing MMT average 15-20% lower tailpipe emissions of NOx.

MMT is one of the most comprehensively tested fuel additives in history. The long-term effect of manganese exposure has been studied for decades and continues. These studies, including one completed in 1998 by the Research Triangle Institute (RTI) of North Carolina, support by scientific evidence that MMT poses no health risk and is therefore safe for use in unleaded gasoline.

In addition, automobile company claims that MMT adversely affects spark plugs and on-board diagnostic (OBD) emission controls have been proven false. In April 1997 these unsubstantiated claims from automakers sparked an interprovincial trade ban on MMT in Canada. But, by July, 1998 the Canadian government reversed this decision and issued the following statement: "Current scientific information fails to demonstrate that MMT impairs the functioning of automotive on-board diagnostic systems."

quote:

Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is an organic manganese compound fuel additive designed to boost octane levels in gasoline. Scientists at Ethyl Corporation developed MMT in the 1950s to reduce common engine knock in automobiles.
Ethyl has successfully marketed MMT for over 20 years. MMT is sold globally, primarily for use in unleaded gasoline and diesel fuels. MMT is currently used in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, as well as Central and South America.

An environmentally friendly fuel additive, MMT economically provides octane enhancement while reducing the amount of crude oil necessary to produce gasoline. MMT provides a number of scientifically proven environmental benefits, remains compatible with automotive emissions systems and has been extensively tested and evaluated for environmental and human safety.

Because MMT is a fuel additive, a number of government and environmental regulations apply to the product's continued safe use and distribution. Over the last 10 years, Ethyl Corporation has worked with governments around the world and has sponsored numerous scientifically designed vehicle and personal exposure analyses through internal and independent test facilities. Today, scientific data accumulated over more than 10 million miles of driving proves MMT is safe and effective for use in unleaded gasoline and diesel fuels.

[ March 07, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back