moly oil/additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the article on moly basics that is at the homepage. ( or is it an advertisement?) If What it says is true, it would seem to me we should all be using oil with moly. Or does most modern oil have it already in it? If not, then it would seem that contrary to popular belief that there are no good additives, that a moly additive would be good. Or am I confused?

Moly is a good thing. Most but not all oils have some amount to a varying degree. I don't think putting a moly additive in your oil is as important as some do. The content has been reduced by a considerable amount in newer oils. The moly issue as a whole is an arguable point.

Last edited:
Moly is a proven friction modifier and studies decades old have shown it to improve fuel economy amongst other advantages.....why is it not used in all oils?...cost primarily.

You are good to be skeptical. No additive is a be all, end all, nectar from GOD. Moly is OK, it does it's job, but plenty of lubricants worked fine for many years with 0 moly. Now that most oil formulators are using Mo as a multifunctional additive and making up for lower ZDDP levels, Mo is more useful, but just 4X the quantity won't make an oil bullet proof.

Moly is an excellent additive that comes in different forms and is made by different additive suppliers. Infineum's moly is used by many PCMO blenders, including M1/Toyota and Amsoil oils.

Redline and Eneos use a different form and higher amounts.

There is no panacea when it comes to additives or base oils, but moly is a a very well rounded, and effective additive. Expensive too.

Prior to GF-4, Amsoil didn't use moly while most of the more modern PCMO's did. Amsoil now uses moly, even after letting an article slip in one of their Amsoil magazines about how dangerous moly is for your engine.

Originally Posted By: buster

Amsoil now uses moly, even after letting an article slip in one of their Amsoil magazines about how dangerous moly is for your engine.

What's with you and attacking Amsoil? Don't like it, don't use it. You ignorantly left out the word "non-soluble", or MoSO2, or was that purposeful?

They make some great oils, no doubt. Just pointing out some inconsistencies and "slick" marketing fallacies. Good oil though.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster

Amsoil now uses moly, even after letting an article slip in one of their Amsoil magazines about how dangerous moly is for your engine.

What's with you and attacking Amsoil? Don't like it, don't use it. You ignorantly left out the word "non-soluble", or MoSO2, or was that purposeful?

x2, dont like it dont use it, to each his own! Griping about stuff like that is akin to griping about Fram filters and Autolite plugs, I dont like them so i dont use them, I dont bash them though, to each his own!

Searched a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of UOA's lately and the Amsoil and Valvoline products W/O moly still give good UOA's.

If it wasn't for those using Amsoil in a car that has issues, it would be hard to find a bad UOA.

Could not find anything but good UOA's with Valvoline Synpower.

But with these two oils you have a long and a short OCI, so pick your poison.

Take a look at virgin oil analysis reports from http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Some motor oils have it. Others don't. From the top of my head, if you want oil with moly additive in it, look at Walmart Supertech, Motorcraft, Valvoline Maxlife, G-Oil, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Peak conventional, and Quaker State oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back