Toyota VVT-i V6 3.3 looking for maintenance tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
'04 Highlander is new to me..spark plugs and oil filter look like problems to access, special tricks or tool knowledge would be appreciated.

Had the timing belt, crank seals and water pump done today @105,400 ..reasonable mechanic quoted $185 for 6 iridium plugs installed.

The oil filter is on the front of the engine right behind the bumper. I take off the little plastic skid to access it (just a few bolts). It has a nice little oil drain lip that I put a bottle under to catch the oil that drains from the filter when I unscrew it.

The front 3 plugs are easy to get to, the back three are a bit more difficult. You have to remove some intake components. Figure on it taking a few hours.

If you have a mechanic change the plugs, ask them for all 6 plugs. I changed plugs in a buddy's Maxima last year. It was a real pain to get to the rear plugs. The front plugs looked great, but the rear plugs looked pretty rough. Obviously, the had not been changed when the front ones were. I don't know if this was a lazy DIY job from the previous owner, or a dishonest mechanic.

You may want to browse over on toyotnation.com and see what others have experienced. The rear plugs are a real PITA (and i'm not putting that lightly) on some models....definately on the Sienna.

Some models say to remove the plate under the windshield to gain some vertical clearance but removing the throttle body may help more. I would make pulling the intake my last resort and if you take it into the shop....I would really (this sounds a little crazy) hide a small remote camera and get a view on what's happpening.

This is an idea I have been toying with, the cameras are so small and easily tie up into a wire loom and would never be noticed. I will be using a setup in my daily driver just for liability sake and for the occasional knucklehead I may get lucky filming for humor value.

For the same reason the other poster mentioned for the Maxima....this happens all the time nowadays and can easily be rectified. Shop labor is big bills now and I will be sure I get what I pay for. Imagine having that evidence if you didn't get the back 3 plugs changed...changes things immensely.

the oil filter appears to be high and right next to the front exhaust manifold..I do see the plastic skid but still going to be red hot..spose a nice canvas glove with a rubber grip would do.

The rear fasteners on the intake plenum is what makes it a difficult job. I do not believe that you have to remove the wiper cowl on the Highlander to get to those bolts. If you have some patience and are mechanically inclined, it's definitely doable. Something can be said for paying someone $185 to do it and not having to worry about it yourself, though.

Good engine, I`m very happy with mine. Honestly, those plugs were good for 120,000 miles.

Last edited:
Don't know what it's like under the hood on the Highlander, but for oil filter access on my Sienna, I simply unbolt the heat shield around the exhaust manifold and gain access to it from the top. Wear gloves so you don't burn yourself.

For the $185 he supplies the denso iridium plugs...either the plugs are working or their not I guess but makes sense the rears would go first from the extra heat..the front I pulled showed a little discoloration where the porcelain meets the metal so probably worse on the rear bank but saw no cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back