What the hell is up with this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! Sciguyjim , help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Discount Auto Parts greased Lightning says only 1X a year or ince in 12-months for COMPLETE TREATMENT of the fuel system. Is this possible, or a big smoke stack being blown up my *** .

First of all, calm down
cheers.gif

"Greased Lightning"? I think I have heard of it......snake oil? Dunno! The claim - easy to make - no proof needed as worded.

Do we REALLY need gasoline additives? I think the case can be made against them...not saying that sometimes tank added goodies don't do good....

Pablo, Interesting that Amoco and Mobil both add the highest amounts of additives to their premium grade gasolines, while Shell adds the same amount in all grades. This information is posted on their own websites.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Bill J - I should have been more clear - what I really should have said is: with good gasoline, are aftermarket additives really necessary?

Interesting coming from an Amsoil dealer. Guess you don't sell much PI?

Personally, I don't know. I have used PI in three vehicles in every tankful and have never had a fuel system related problem, Camry with 150,000 miles has had PI since birth. I also like the Schaeffers Neutra, really, really works in lawn equip and have also used it in gas tank and crankcase.

Do these gas additives work, well, I just don't know as I do not have a second Camry to compare to using no PI.

quote:

Originally posted by LS1-CAMARO:
This Discount Auto Parts greased Lightning says only 1X a year or ince in 12-months for COMPLETE TREATMENT of the fuel system. Is this possible, or a big smoke stack being blown up my *** .

Sorry I can't help, I've never heard of Greased Lightning. I agree with the previous posters. You are probably ok with good brands of gas. It sounds like this additive is just trying to collect a few bucks from people who like to use additives. Not much crud is going to collect in one year so it's easy for the mfgr to claim their product cleaned it out. On the other hand, if it claimed to clean heavy deposits from years of misuse, I'd suspect that it could be so strong it could cause other problems (or that it should be sold on late night infomercials.)

Spector - I certainly don't push PI. I do think it works OK on certain cars as preventative maintenance. (My wife's Volvo 850 is one). She runs low grade fuel, wherever she can buy it cheap...(she doesn't listen to me real well
tongue.gif
)... this model of car is subject to what we affectionally call "lawn mower syndrome" on the Volvo BB. So running synthetic oil, the right plugs, doing Italian girl tune-ups, making sure the car gets go and hot, and yes even extra fuel additives help prevent the situation.

Anyhow I just don't think some juice you pour in the tank, and then fill with 18 gallons of gas, will cure 200,000 miles of bad gas, bad driving, lack of maintaining. And I also think properly formulated gasoline shouldn't need additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back