Motomaster formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work at CTC during highschool and college. In those days my go to oil was the red supreme bottle for my '87 Olds Cerria Coupe....no oil related issues.

Nugold was still there untill last year, I think. Possibly made by Safety-Kleen? I think it may have been replaced by the Certified brand. Supreme is still available, birght red bottles.

Bluestream, that can is pretty cool! What "vintage" would that be?

EEWW...I don't like the sound of that at all!

Bluestream, thanks for that awesome pic!!

What API level is that - SE (1970's), or SF (early 1980's)?
Can we have a pic of the top of the can?

My dad was a HUGE CT fan after he came to Canada (1970) - I'd bet his 1967 Mustang saw a lot of that oil in it for the years he drove it (1970-1978).

I've used lots of CT oils over the years, and have posted a UOA on it, as have many others. It has given really, really good results. Will most likely use it at 'some point' in the Tribute....

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
19258cm_20.jpeg

That's very cool.

IIRC isn't Motomaster Supreme still available; it's a cheaper house brand to Formula 1? Amd I'm sure Formula 1 has been around longer than 20 years.

I worked at a Canadian Tire Pitstop Lube centre from 95 to 98. The bargain basement offerings were Motomaster Nugold (virgin base stocks) and Motomaster ECO (50% recycled content). At that time is was only available in 10W30 but in previous years it also came in 5W30. The bottle stated is was NOT for turbo charged engines.
Next up was Motomaster Supreme. It was decent and available in 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 and 20W50. Then the conventional top of the line was Motomaster Formula 2000. It was the house brand competitor for all the national brands like QS and PYB. Around 1997 it was rebadged to Formula 1. I guess because the year 2000 was getting close.

Just as an aside, C-T's current 'low rung' offering has been re-named 'Certified', and it comes in 5W-30, 10W-30, and 15W-40 (HDEO) grades.

It comes in the same style of bottle as the other levels of oil, so I'm sure it's just a 'base' SN/GF-5 oil blended by Shell. Probably a pretty good oil.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Nugold was still there untill last year, I think. Possibly made by Safety-Kleen? I think it may have been replaced by the Certified brand. Supreme is still available, birght red bottles.

Bluestream, that can is pretty cool! What "vintage" would that be?

EEWW...I don't like the sound of that at all!

I think Nugold has been gone for many years. As for the vintage of the can, it has a metric measure on it, and Canada went metric in 1975, so the can would be later than that..

If you look at CT adds from back in the early 1970's, CT also heavily promoted a '100% Pennsylvania Crude' oil, like ARG does today. It didn't have a name, it was just litterally called 'Pennsylvania-grade oil'.

Seemed to disappear by the late 1970's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back