Fuel additives in a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some have been known to cause fatal problems with O2 sensors. I don't know which specific chemicals or their concentrations were responsible. The instances I know of were from using cylinder cleaning agents like Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner or large doses of Sea Foam in the throttle body. This results in big noxious clouds out the tailpipe, and sometimes kills or shortens the life of O2 sensors. Maybe someone here can explain the actual process.

What product are you using?

David

I haven't had any trouble with my (90000 mile old when i changed the upstream) O2 sensors after using MCCC.

Basically with combustion chamber cleaner, you spray the whole can into the TB at idle, turn the car off and let it sit for a while, then start it up and run it at wide open throttle a few times, making clouds of smoke up and down the street.

He was using neutra he got with me on my last order,
01 Ford Taurus 25k mi. He ran 12oz.when he got it,and got better gas milage,6oz. in the second tank of fuel,his last fill up no neutra was added, the check engine light came on and car idles kind of rough,he usually uses mobile,exxon or citgo gas.I was thinking it might be the fuel since it didn't happen until his last fill up without the neutra.

RB, Well there's the problem, no Neutra.
smile.gif

Seriously, I'd have a hard time believing Neutra would do anything in the concentrations we use. (~1oz/20miles) The problems I've seen were after the O2 sensors were exposed to drastic amounts of cleaner. As Neonmike said, you pour in these cleaners to the point of stalling the engine, shut down & let soak, then start and purge. What comes out is noxious and not pretty. 16oz of cleaner run through in
In your friend's case you could be right. Bad gas, or throttle sensor, or any number of things setting off OBD. Neutra would be at the bottom of my list until eliminating the usual suspects, though I understand looking for things that are new. Has he checked for OBD codes?

David

David, He's taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out,and I,m pretty sure it's something else,even if you forget to tighten the gas cap, the check engine light will come on.I drive an 83 s-10 so I don't have these problems.
83 s-10
crushedcar.gif
83 s-10 on neutra and #306
burnout.gif
get the picture

I use cleaners sparingly. I add 1-2 ounces of Red Line SI-1 every month. I've doing this since the car was new.

When my car hit 115,000 miles, I noticed some really light pinging so I swapped out the O2 sensor. No difference. All those miles and many bottles of detergent and the sensor was still like new.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

You're right, it's usually something very simple. EGR or purge valves, sensor,... Those check engine lights could accurately be renamed "check pollution control".
smile.gif

I use diesel conditioner on my diesels from day 1. On my gasoline engines I wait til around 5,000 km to put in the Techron, which then goes in every 5,000 km. As I think I posted here somewhere, I've seen Techron make engines pass emisions tests that failed.

My experience is that anything with methanol will temporarily trash the O2 sensor. I have not run one long enough after this to see if there were long term effects.

I have run the Amsoil PI (a concentrate) in every tankful, yes, every tankful since 1000 miles on my 92 Camry. Now 149,000 miles, original injectors and so far never had a fuel sustem problem and never a check engien light either Of course, it si a 92

I also run it in every tankful on two other cars so far same experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back