SUGAR CAN NOT DAMAGE MY ENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is kind of a fuel related question, figured I'd stick it here.

I just received this email and I know we have some really sharp chemists and engineers that might help shed some light on this guys problem. Here's the story....

MY INSURANCE SAYS THAT SUGAR CAN NOT DAMAGE MY ENGINE. SO WHY TEST FOR SUGAR? SUGAR WAS FOUND IN MY TANK AND THEN THE SYSTEM WAS FLUSHED, THEN SHORTLY AFTER MY ENGINE DEVELOPED A NOISE AND THEN BEGAN TO OVERHEAT. METAL WAS FOUND IN THE CRANKCASE AND ALL THE BEARINGS WERE WORN OR SLIGHTLY DAMAGED. WHAT IF ANY, ARE THE DIFFERENT WAYS THIS DAMAGE COULD HAVE BEEN CAUSED (BY SUGAR) OR IS IT JUST COINCIDENTAL? PLEASE NOTE YOUR TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION.
THANK YOU, G.T.
FYI
-REBUILT 1978 FORD 302 LESS THAN 25,000 MI./AUTOMATIC, AFTERMARKET PARTS BUT BASICALLY A STOCK SETUP.
-625 CFM CARTER CARB.
-FUEL FILTER IS LOCATED WITH-IN 15 IN OF THE CARB IN CLOSE PROXIMTY TO THE BLOCK AND HEADER.(HIGH HEAT AREA)

[ September 26, 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

If the carb jets were slightly plugged up, I'd think he would have a lean condition, which could cause overheating and engine damage. I'm not sure that would lead to bearing wear though.

You can go to www.auto-rx.com and read the test data. No one can fix the damage done by "Sugar"
carbonized by engine heat.Auto-Rx will clean all the residue completely off the oil lubricated parts and out of the engine. This cleansing will allow you to use oil of your choice and since it can now lubticate clean metal it will alter how your engine performs. I guarantee Auto-Rx to perform as stated or there is no charge. Sorry I don't have a way to repair metal damage, then again your not paying for a re-build.
Frank Miller
co-inventor

Need Molekule or someone to comment on this. What I remember clearly was a friend in 1964 who got mad at someone and poured 5 lbs of sugar into the gas tank of his Ford Falcon. The engine seized up about 5 miles down the road the next day. I never tried to understand the chemical reactions, but I consider it too much coincidence to not be related.

I recall this was something that changed. Can't remember whether because of new gas formulations that don't dissolve sugar or modern filters & injector diameters that won't pass it...?

David

No auto related certification, but then I have had "experts" tell me all sorts of stupid things. But back to the issue: Sugar cannot dissolve in gasoline, true, but most gasoline has some small percentage of water in it. This, sugar can dissolve in, when the water is vaporized the sugar stays behind to carmalize and carbonize, not a good thing. That car that siezed within 5 miles must have had really "wet" gas in the tank.

It sounds to me like maybe he got the SS treatment, sand in the crankcase and sugar in the fuel.

If the fuel was oxygenated with ethanol or MTBE, then the sugar could be dissolved in the ethanol or decomposed by the MTBE very easily. Now if the sugar reached the combustion chamber, then the heat of combustion could be higher, since sucrose has high caloric content raising the temps. Since not all of the sugar would be dissolved, then some of it could become crusty carbon particles, as in "burnt caramel."

As Dickwells commented, extreme carbonization of the valves and rings could place stresses on the bearings, etc. and overstress mechanical components.

mad.gif
I don't know about sugar, but when I was a teenager, a friend of mine(?) poured 2 gallons of 'Jack in the Box' chocolate shake mix in the gas tank of his boss' new Trans-Am. The car left that day, returned the next, and would not start that afternoon. Continuous cranking and eventually the engine siezed. We never saw that car again. Too bad, it was a 73 455 Super-Duty.
frown.gif

Sugar has a very slight soluability in chained hydrocarbons, much better in EtOH, MeOH, and of course water. OH cr@p!!!!

Dislikeing someone is probably OK...sugar "treating" someone's gasoline is a crime.

Covered by waranty? No. Insurance. YES! Comprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back