Hybrid Sales Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much it will cost to replace the batterys when they wear out? I bet it will cut into the any fuel saveings a bit. I don't think hybrids are all they are cracked up to be.

Not only the cost of battery replacement, but NO ONE is discussing the HAZWASTE implications of massive battery disposal. I am sure these are the sealed, RG-type batteries that are very hard to recycle.

Just like the so-called "hydrogen economy", the devil is in the details and either people aren't educated sufficiently to discuss them (in this 30-second sound-bite / Paris Hilton culture), or has a hidden agenda to remove these issues from discussion entirely...

quote:

Originally posted by USAFREOD:
Not only the cost of battery replacement, but NO ONE is discussing the HAZWASTE implications of massive battery disposal. I am sure these are the sealed, RG-type batteries that are very hard to recycle.

Just like the so-called "hydrogen economy", the devil is in the details and either people aren't educated sufficiently to discuss them (in this 30-second sound-bite / Paris Hilton culture), or has a hidden agenda to remove these issues from discussion entirely...

Quit being so logical!
You are absolutely correct, BTW...

quote:

Originally posted by pajim17057:
I wonder how much it will cost to replace the batterys when they wear out? I bet it will cut into the any fuel saveings a bit. I don't think hybrids are all they are cracked up to be.

To the best of my knowledge, most hybrids use ultracapacitors (very large capacitors) to store their energy during regenerative braking instead of a bank of batteries. Capacitors contain dry components and are very recyclable. They also last MUCH longer than battery technologies and can be full-cycle charged and drained many thousands of times. A single ultracapacitor is cheaper than a set of batteries used in the electric cars.

After nanotechnologies have been perfected we will see ultracapacitors that have at least a thousand times the capacity. This is because the closer you move the plates in a capacitor, the more capacitance you achieve. When this happens electric cars will be incredibly inexpensive to produce and will be the dominant car type.

[ April 26, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: mjo ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back