Let's talk BMW's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with MCompact. They are as expensive to repair as you let them be: the better you are with maintenance, the less you have to worry about repairs. I would be more than happy to post a list of what I have spent on any of my 3 BMWs over the past 3yrs (on repairs, it would be extremely long if I included mods lol). You might be surprised...

Originally Posted By: nleksan
I agree with MCompact. They are as expensive to repair as you let them be: the better you are with maintenance, the less you have to worry about repairs. I would be more than happy to post a list of what I have spent on any of my 3 BMWs over the past 3yrs (on repairs, it would be extremely long if I included mods lol). You might be surprised...

Exactly! I pulled out my spreadsheets and checked the maintenance/repair costs of my four newest vehicles over the last 15,000 miles(I purposely omitted the 1975 2002 since it is in the process of being restored/upgraded).

Here they are:

2007 Mazdaspeed 3, 97,680 miles- $1351(includes $795 for purchase of four UHP all-season tires).

2004 BMW X3 2.5, 127,800 miles- $365

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0, 109,800 miles- $762

1995 BMW 318ti, 130,600 miles- $1012(includes $417 for purchase of four EHP summer/track tires)

So, it essentially costs $300 per month to maintain all four vehicles- but since I don't have a car payment I think I'm ahead of the game.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

We already mentioned Passionate Owners. That is considered a GOOD sign in my book. The fact that people love the marque and are willing to defend it is a great indicator of happiness in ownership.

Just as importantly, the marque supports those who support it.

Walk into any BMW, or other German dealer, and it's still possible to buy new OE parts for models that were discontinued more than a decade ago. And not just the easy stuff that is also available through OEM channels.

Such inquiries for more pedestrian makes will only result in puzzled looks, directions to the junkyard and leave the counterman puzzled why anybody would even care about some old model, much less want to maintain and drive it. Those makes' vehicles are used and discarded, not loved and cherished.

Sure, some of the more obscure stuff may be NLA, but these marques understand that heritage is more than just static models inside museums, or mere marketing points in brochures, it's devoted owners still driving and enjoying these vehicles in the real world. That can't be bought by marketing, it must come from the product, and the owners.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

We already mentioned Passionate Owners. That is considered a GOOD sign in my book. The fact that people love the marque and are willing to defend it is a great indicator of happiness in ownership.

Walk into any BMW, or other German dealer, and it's still possible to buy new OE parts for models that were discontinued more than a decade ago. And not just the easy stuff that is also available through OEM channels.

Such inquiries for more pedestrian makes will only result in puzzled looks, directions to the junkyard and leave the counterman puzzled why anybody would even care about some old model, much less want to maintain and drive it. Those makes' vehicles are used and discarded, not loved and cherished.

Sure, some of the more obscure stuff may be NLA, but these marques understand that heritage is more than just static models inside museums, or mere marketing points in brochures, it's devoted owners still driving and enjoying these vehicles in the real world. That can't be bought by marketing, it must come from the product, and the owners.

I wish they stocked older models OEM parts.

As to their stocking parts, in the 80's they didn't even have the parts to repair new BMW's I owned, never mind older ones. I waited SIX WEEKS for AC pieces to fix a brand new 7 series!

But I'd be the first to admit this is usually more of a stealership issue than a Manufacturer issue.

And BTW, my much more 'pedestrian" (nice snob word) GMC products are supported for decades, and there is never a problem with parts.

I used to own a 63 pickup and I could walk right in to any dealer and get parts over the counter.

Unfortunately, those days are gone for domestic and foreign makes. After 15 years, you're mostly on your own unless the parts for your vehicle extend into the 15 year window for other models.

Agreed, I've never had to wait more than 10 days to get parts from my dealer for my 1975 2002.

As to their stocking parts, in the 80's they didn't even have the parts to repair new BMW's I owned, never mind older ones. I waited SIX WEEKS for AC pieces to fix a brand new 7 series!

But I'd be the first to admit this is usually more of a stealership issue than a Manufacturer issue.

Well, back in 1984 I needed a rear window gasket for my 1973 BMW Bavaria and a battery tray for my 1974 Monte Carlo. I called a BMW dealer in PA and ordered the gasket, which arrived in two days. I ordered the battery tray from my hometown Chevrolet dealer and I finally got the part 21 days later. Then in 1993 when I had a 1988 M6 and a 1984 T-Bird Turbo Coupe I had the same experience. I've only owned one domestic vehicle since(my 1999 Wrangler) and parts availability at local dealers is still abysmal- I always buy from Jeep dealers who have an online catalog(ditto for my Mazda).

I've never had trouble getting parts for the Jeep, but then again, I rarely go for OEM parts. The local dealer did have to order a dipstick when I broke mine, but it arrived the next day.

Good post.

Domestic manufacturers prefer to license other companies to produce NLA and historic/special interest vehicle parts. BMW decided to develop a separate division to cater to vintage vehicles- BMW Classic. Either approach can work well.

MCompact:

It isn't just vintage stuff. If you try and order certain parts for a domestic vehicle, say a door for example, you may find that the manufacturer no longer makes it.

In contrast, I've discovered that basically any part I desire from BMW I can get next-day at a reasonable price directly from a dealer.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
MCompact:

It isn't just vintage stuff. If you try and order certain parts for a domestic vehicle, say a door for example, you may find that the manufacturer no longer makes it.

In contrast, I've discovered that basically any part I desire from BMW I can get next-day at a reasonable price directly from a dealer.

I really don't have a lot of experience with domestics, having owned just two over the past twenty years. I buy most of my Wrangler parts from local parts houses or Quadratec.

I've now owned 8 or 9 BMW's. I love them for a multitude of reasons. Are they perfect? No. Not by a long shot. But, it's true - they really are the ultimate driving machine. Find another car that does EVERYTHING that a BMW does as well as a BMW does it. You can't because there isn't. It's a well balanced vehicle. Many cars will do 95% of what the BMW will do as well or better, but not 100%. They drive great, they ride well, economy models get fantastic mileage, they last [censored] near forever, you can get parts (water pump for an m50 is what, $60 now??), parts and factory diagrams are easily available, and there is a wonder, highly technically-centric web community.

My current daily driver is a '95 318ti with a 2.8l m52 from a ~70k mile 328i. I bought the car as a rolling chassis and swapped engine, 5 speed trans, and swapped the rear diff to a 2.79 from an old 325e (for fuel economy). That car is FAST, gets 35 mpg on the highway, and I only have $3500 into it total - including coilover suspension and a whole slew of new parts.

I had an '87 325e for a daily for awhile. No idea mileage, odometer was broken showing about 274k. PO said the odometer broke before he bought it, so I'm assuming the car had somewhere in the 350-400k mile range on it. All original, and ran like a top, and I took it to it's 4700 rpm rev limiter everyday. And it loved it.

I picked up another E36 coupe for a track car. 5-6 years ago, evne under stock power, these were some of the fastest cars at the track. Now it takes a nice TRM turbokit to pass the 'vettes and the GT3 RS's and the GT-R's on the straights, but they will still hang right with and/or pass those newer, more powerful, but bloated cars in the corners.

Last edited:
i currently own a 1999 corolla auto 175k on the clock, also a 1998 bmw 328is 5spd 170k.

corolla feels like 100mph at 60mph

bmw feels like 60 at 100

i choose the bmw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back