New Struts & Coil Springs Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw these new Monroe all-in-one complete strut with coil spring assemblies that you simply bolt in and your done ...no special tools to compress the spring , no rubber boots to fiddle with , etc. Anybody have experience with these all-in-one stut / coil spring replacements ? Also , if you installed all 4 of these on your vehicle would you have to re-do the wheel alignment when done ?

You would not need to remove any threaded rod so origional settings would stay the same but the change in stance would affect the alignment so i second the align. Ive seen 50$ alignment offers around here even so not too pricey. Try getting one done on a TTB ford. It takes them forever and they usually charge more.

You can do toe in your driveway. Most alignment racks are way out of calibration and will just misalign your car more. I think I had 2 sucessfull alignments in 40 years out of 20 attempts. Careless Dolts,, all of 'em!

If you are changing the dampers and soil springs, most likely you will change ride height. If ride height is changed odds are camber will go out as well. It technically will not be out, but it will probably be back in spec, just the vehicle might have been adjusted for a lower ride height.

Those Monroe "Quick-struts" are a great deal. You get all new parts, much quicker to install and don't risk your life swapping the springs. I would consider and alignment however after replacement.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You can do toe in your driveway. Most alignment racks are way out of calibration and will just misalign your car more. I think I had 2 sucessfull alignments in 40 years out of 20 attempts. Careless Dolts,, all of 'em!

Careless Dolts?.......Eh never heard that one before.
grin.gif

Thanks for the replies - I will get alignment done the same place as I buy the tires ...if their rack is out of alignment it will show in the tires eventually .

You do have to re-align the wheels, but quick struts are worth it. You would pay 2x as much if you had to buy all the other stuff(mounts, springs, cusions, etc) and put it all together.

Also, KYB, MOOG, Raybestos and Gabriel have started to make an equivalent in some applications, so if you can't get a Monroe Quick Strut, look at the other options.

I changed out the front and rear struts on my 2001 Chevy Cavalier recently with the Monroe Quick Struts (also pressed in new Moog control arm bushings)and added a new lower torque strut mount. Ride height was increased and alignement was way off, thus an alignement was needed. These new struts, for the front, came with a lower mounting hole that was elongated so the alignment shop was able to change camber easily. Install was very easy. Plus there is a $100 rebate from Monroe when four Quick Struts are purchased (making them almost the same price as their Economatic struts).

Thanks for the continued replies plus other makers of Quick Struts to consider .

What's the differance in price? Once the strut is out of the car, I have found compressing the spring isn't that big of a deal.

That's the way I see it too. I like to keep as much as the OE stuff as I think I can. Sometimes even old it ends being better than new aftermarket parts. Usually just the strut and the strut mount need replaced. I like to keep the OE spring since the aftermarket may not be the same rate.

What car is this year, model and milage and what suspension problems does it have? Maybe we can come up with more specific suggestions.

I've never read good things about monroe struts in any semi-performance oriented forum I've ever been on...
I put in new KYB struts in the rear of the Neon when one blew(like no oil inside) and have been happy with them, but they are firmer than the stock struts.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I've never read good things about monroe struts in any semi-performance oriented forum I've ever been on...

You've probably never read good things about the post-'96 Camry on that sort of board either! But many people like a soft ride, and Monroe delivers that.

The car in question is a 2005 Buick Century with 95K miles on it (original shocks /struts) .

The quick strut assemblies are very convenient, but not sure if they are also great. I heard on the forums for my LHS that the hats for the for front struts were going out prematurely due to a manufacturing defect, so they had to disassemble anyway.

I haven't had great luck with alignment shops, either. I use one that's about 30 min away, but it's never open past 430. They use big measuring "rods" and it's the best alignment I've ever had: straight wheel, and it goes down the road straight. I just had an alignment on my other car with the "laser" and it goes down the road pretty crummy to me. Crookedish wheel, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back