Blind spot mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to buy a set for my Focus the other day. A whopping $2.58 + tax and they were mine
smile.gif
I must say, these things are quite useful. I still turn my head to check blind spots, but I'm guessing these can't hurt. Who else uses these? Our Fusion has them from the factory, but they are located in a spot so that I almost never see them unless I remember to look. On my Focus, I put them in a spot where my eyes are drawn to, but without degrading the effective use of the normal mirrors.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
On a rectangular mirror....where is the best spot to place these 'blind-spot mirrors' ?

Depending on seating position and a few other factors, the 'sweet spot' can be in different places. On my Focus, I placed them in the bottom-inner corner on each side. So... bottom-right corner on the driver side, and bottom-left corner on the passenger side.

My mirrors aren't rectangular, however. They are more like rounded triangles. You just have to see what works for you.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
On a rectangular mirror....where is the best spot to place these 'blind-spot mirrors' ?

Depending on seating position and a few other factors, the 'sweet spot' can be in different places. On my Focus, I placed them in the bottom-inner corner on each side. So... bottom-right corner on the driver side, and bottom-left corner on the passenger side.

My mirrors aren't rectangular, however. They are more like rounded triangles. You just have to see what works for you.
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Are you satisfied with them? Where did you purchase them?...and what brand are they?

Ha, I learned to adjust my mirrors the way the link described on my own over the first couple of years of driving.
grin2.gif

Yippie!
13.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Never use blind spot mirrors. I adjust side mirrors out far enough so that I can see the cars on the side.

I've been doing this lately after we got the Miata, because I'm ~6' and with the top up and the the seat fully back, I see the fabric top when I turn my head. I started doing this in my own car as well and find it less distracting to change lanes compared to the turn head method.

I always use these small convex mirrors. I have them on the outer lower corner of the mirrors, on both sides, in both vehicles. With the small mirrors, there's a lot of "overlap"...you can visually see the car next to you while the back end of the car still shows up in the small convex mirror, so there's virtually no chance that you'll miss it.

Interesting. I may try this. I've got big blind spot mirrors and some times you have to focus to see if something is there. This method could eliminate that.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Never use blind spot mirrors. I adjust side mirrors out far enough so that I can see the cars on the side.

+1. My father learned this in the 60's and it was how I was taught.

The time for a small mirror IMO is if you need one to see your rear tire for tight backing or parking.

Otherwise it is not needed. Maybe in vanity shape small outboard mirrors it is though... Ive never driven a car that needed such a thing.

U can never have enough mirrors, when I drove with my son in the 18 wheeler, u need all the mirrors possible, 4 wheelers come out of nowhere, we were always looking in the mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds, its safety. On my car and van, one on each mirror, on outer edge. Best invention for safety.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
U can never have enough mirrors, when I drove with my son in the 18 wheeler, u need all the mirrors possible, 4 wheelers come out of nowhere, we were always looking in the mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds, its safety. On my car and van, one on each mirror, on outer edge. Best invention for safety.

+1 Especially when driving a bigger vehicle with blind spots. Those blind spot mirrors where one of the best safety investments I've ever made. Everything I own has a set.

I added one to my Jeep...the B pillar is directly in my line of vision for lane changes. It helped a lot & cost about $2.

I put them on my Nissan Altima Coupe which has some pretty bad blind spots, even with the mirrors properly adjusted. I got some 2" round, convex mirrors for under $4 and placed them in the lower, outside-most corner of the mirrors. It's not something I'd do on every vehicle, but on this one, it really helps.

Originally Posted By: alphasparky353
My fiesta has small blind spot mirrors incorporated into the mirrors as a factory installed feature.

I saw this on a rental fusion I had. It is a nice touch, but the mirrors could be adjusted well enough that the biggest benefit was parallel or close parking to a curb.

HATE THEM.
when i bought my neon off my brother, he had these GIANT like 3inch round ones that pretty much covered the entire mirror.

- couldn't take em off fast enough.

now i have a clip on panoramic rear view mirror. i can see everything from b-pillar to b-pillar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back