Michelin Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tire Rack is taking orders for the Defender even though all indications are that it won't be available until April.

I will be the first to try these.

I will likely order a set, for "charity purposes," to install onto my friend's 2009 Honda Fit. Stay tuned...

For the 195/60R15 size, they are costing $115/tire!
shocked.gif

Well never mind, Tirerack is showing an ETA of mid July. Probably can't wait that long.

I have a set of four 175/70R13's on order, should be available in July. TireRack said I'm first on the list....can't wait!

Tirerack just got these in stock in the size that I've been looking for (215/65-16) for our minivan. After researching, I was all set on buying Goodyear Comfortreds, but now I'm looking hard at these Michelin Defenders. Same good rolling resistance, 10% longer treadlife, with much better wet traction and braking. Sub par wet traction was the only downside to the Comfortreds. Now I have to decide if $50 more for the set of Defenders is worth it.

According to Tirerack, the 175/70R13 Defender will be available July 10th. What's this about two different styles of Defender, I can't find any info on this.

I would definitely go with the Michelins over the Goodyears if it is only $50 more.
The Michelin rep I talked to a while back said there would be a "club" model but ya I havent seen anything on the web about it either

I got a pair of defenders for my Taurus today. I think they look better in person than in pictures. They balanced well and had good road force numbers, I only have about 30 miles on them so far. They ride very smooth and are quiet.

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
I got a pair of defenders for my Taurus today. I think they look better in person than in pictures. They balanced well and had good road force numbers, I only have about 30 miles on them so far. They ride very smooth and are quiet.

Please keep us posted on the Defenders, are you keeping your fuel mileage?

I saw the XT "Club" version at Costco last night. Looks unspectacular, but the speca are there. What I noticed besides the plain look including the tread was the VERY soft/compliant sidewall... Unlike any Michelin tire I have seen. Softness of sidewall matched much lesser quality/cheaper brands. I guess it works, but it sure seems a complete departure from previous Michelin builds.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I saw the XT "Club" version at Costco last night. Looks unspectacular, but the speca are there. What I noticed besides the plain look including the tread was the VERY soft/compliant sidewall... Unlike any Michelin tire I have seen. Softness of sidewall matched much lesser quality/cheaper brands. I guess it works, but it sure seems a complete departure from previous Michelin builds.

The new Energy Saver A/S are this way as well. I have getting a set of those installed in an hr so we will seehow they compare to my existing set of Primacy MXV4.

I suspect they are trying to combine a rather hard-wearing tread compound with a rather soft sidewall to maintain ride quality. I'd personally rather have it the other way around: give me a softer-wearing tread compound with a firmer sidewall to maintain handling and response.

Fuel economy is ranked 7/10 on Michelin's site, while Energy Saver A/S is ranked 10/10.

If these tires are similar to the Harmony/X-Radial for fuel economy, they will deliver 5% less than most OE tires. The Energy Saver A/S are usually a few % better than the OE tires.

From the calculations I have done so far, the Energy Saver A/S still has a lower ownership cost.

Can you comment on how you like the Defenders after having them for a month. I am getting some put on this Saturday on my Camry. I was set on the Primacy MXV4 until the Defender came out. The guys at DT told me that the Defender is going to be a better tire than the Primacy in their opinon. I actually went in already set to buy the MXV4 and I was suprised that they were recomending these since they were cheaper than the MXV4. I have always been pleased with all my experiences with DT, but a little nervous since there is no track record yet. Mileage warranty isn't a concern as we will never see 90,000 miles in 6 years
smile.gif

Thanks

After having my defenders for just over a month and putting 3000 miles on them I still like them a lot. They are smooth and quiet on the highway. I would agree with dt that I would go with the defender over the m x v 4 especially if you're gonna run them all your round. How Do I post pictures on my post so you guys can see what mine look like?

Did you get your defenders put on your camry yet? Michelin has a 70 dollar mail in rebate right now for independent retailers.

Yes, got them put on last Saturday. Have only put 200 miles on but nice so far. The tread pattern kind of reminds me of my LTX M/S'2 I have on my suv.

Only problem I am having is that when I hit about 60mph plus I have this vibration from the rear which gets worse the faster you go. Took it back to Discount Tire Saturday and they put the tires on their road force maching. They guy called me out and showed me that the wheel was whobling from side to side. Said my rim was bent. We did find a spot that had a very slight bend in the edge on both sides but it seemed very minor. I went in side and they finished. They told me that I had another bent rim as well and that was causing the vibration. Tire and balance was fine. Just hard to believe that I have 2 bent rims but anything is possible. They were sure trying hard to get me to buy a set of cheap alloy rims as replacements.

I am going to have an independant tire/rim shop check it out further and see if it can be fixed. Not sure what that would cost but a replacement steelie is about $80 a piece. Don't want to drive too much until I get it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back