Did the 460 Ford ever get roller lifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still looking for a newer truck to replace my old truck. I've narrowed my search down to mid 90'd Ford F250's. Most of these have the 460.

With all the talk about lowered ZDDP and flat tappits I was wondering if Ford ever went to rollers in the 460?

I wouldnt worry too much about it. The trucks you are looking at are how old? And have been living on "low zddp" oil for...Most of their life.
I think if low zddp was a problem for flat tappets, it would be for high-performance, high-revving modded engines with high valve seat pressures that the lifters have to fight against. Not a low revving torque monster like a stock iron-head 460.
Also, I found out a little tidbit about the oil system on the 385-series engines. Apparently, the mains are lubed through the lifter galley. So, oil has to go through the lifters to get to the mains.
The lifters are probably the last thing I would worry about. If you still have reservations, use a HDEO.

:p

It's looking like 1997 was the last year for the F250 with the 460. And up until that year, they all had flat lifters per NAPA.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I wouldnt worry too much about it. The trucks you are looking at are how old? And have been living on "low zddp" oil for...Most of their life.
I think if low zddp was a problem for flat tappets, it would be for high-performance, high-revving modded engines with high valve seat pressures that the lifters have to fight against. Not a low revving torque monster like a stock iron-head 460.
Also, I found out a little tidbit about the oil system on the 385-series engines. Apparently, the mains are lubed through the lifter galley. So, oil has to go through the lifters to get to the mains.
The lifters are probably the last thing I would worry about. If you still have reservations, use a HDEO.

:p
Ya I'm not too worried about it. I was just thinking that I would prefer roller lifters and if that was offered in a certain year I would prefer it.

You can build one of these 460's to about whatever degree of performance you de$ire... Just takes $ (or $$).

400-500 hp is a relatively mild state of tune (there is even a factory crate motor), but living in CA can present a problem, emissions-wise.

An occasional change of 10W-30 will protect an engine that should last quite a long while. My pre-Cat carb'ed '87 has 180+K and runs just fine. Gas mileage on a latter fuel-injected big blobk should be a little better.

Cheers!

p.s. If you can find one with a C6 it is a great transmission.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's looking like 1997 was the last year for the F250 with the 460. And up until that year, they all had flat lifters per NAPA.

They ran until 1998 in trucks & I think 1999 in F53 motorhome chassis. Never got roller cams, I recall.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
My pre-Cat carb'ed '87 has 180+K and runs just fine.

I must've misunderstood this. Are you saying your '87 is pre-catalytic converter?

You can build one of these 460's to about whatever degree of performance you de$ire... Just takes $ (or $$).

400-500 hp is a relatively mild state of tune (there is even a factory crate motor), but living in CA can present a problem, emissions-wise.

I don't need any of that
laugh.gif
I just need a dependable truck to haul dirt bikes and Prospecting equipment out to the desert and I want AC on my way home. My old truck does not have AC and parts are getting scarce.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

I must've misunderstood this. Are you saying your '87 is pre-catalytic converter?

I was thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
What do you have now?
73 International 1210 4x4.

It needs brake drums and spring eye bushings, tie rod ends etc and nothing is available. I'm considering a Chevy front axle and spring swap but thats more work than I want to do.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
COOL!

www.binderbulletin.com fpr parts.

And how handy are you? I have a REALLY off the wall idea for a dirtbike-hauler.
Ya I'm on that forum too. Honestly I'm tired of the old IHC and I need something quieter and that I don't have to wait 6 weeks for parts for.

This is really important when I'm broken down 200 miles from home.

Last edited:
Again: how handy are you? If ypu are reasonably handy, I have a kind of off the wall idea for a great dirtbike hauler. It would have:

A/C
Fuel injection
Weathertight, locking storage for anywhere from two to six bikes (or two or three quads), plus tools, coolers, and other gear.
It could double as a mobile bike workshop.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Kestas

I was thinking the same thing.

Some engines had no catalyst as late as 1997! (Ford F-53 motorhome, gas 460, no cats)

Look at the late 90's chevy trucks with the 454. They had roller cams and lifters. I have a 98 chevy K3500 with a 454 and it is a pulling machine.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back