Microgard MGL16 - 17k+ miles, 1.5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Microgard filter taken off of a 2000 Chrysler Voyager minivan. The title of the post is correct - this filter went at least 17k miles, and was on for about 1 year and 5 months. Mileage is "at least" because the entire dash cluster on the vehicle shuts down at random times, meaning no speedometer or odometer. So there was likely over 20k miles on this filter. The ADBV was (not surprisingly) stiff. The filter is mounted vertically so that oil always stays in it, however.

My initial fill when I put this on was O'Reilly HM, 10w30. However, the van burns a lot of oil, so it saw a new 4 quarts probably every 4000-5000 miles. I don't think the top-off (really more of a "refill") oil was selected with great care, and I can't say what was put in as I wasn't present. I do know that the oil drained out "just fine" to my naked eye (for what that's worth).

It's not my vehicle and I lost track of its changes - will bump up the interval in the future, but I am also aware I can extend it slightly with all the extra oil added. Perhaps I'll do filter changes every 5k miles and full changes every 10k?

Anyway, the pictures we've all been waiting for:

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

The pictures don't show it all that well, but the bypass was still securely fit against the filter tube, and I don't suspect unfiltered oil was getting past. The filter media had no tears in it, either.

Why change it every 5k? Seems like a waste. I'd do every 15k (coming from 17-20k)

Every 10k miles if you want to stay conservative.

Change the oil every 20k with the amount added. There should be plenty of life left in it.

SuperDave: yep, it does have the steel center tube - not an e-core. The Microgards are re-badged Frams.

Artem: I had thought about that. I thought I'd ask the board what to do. There's one vote to go longer. I am probably just over-compensating from my failure to get a new filter on sooner in this one
spankme2.gif

Might want to try the MGL8 filter which is longer and more capacity. Trying to figure out if that is the Fram version of the filter, because I don't see the Purolator string around it.

It's hanging in there...

But at the rate it's burning oil, I'm not worried about the filter anyways...

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Might want to try the MGL8 filter which is longer and more capacity. Trying to figure out if that is the Fram version of the filter, because I don't see the Purolator string around it.
All Microgard filters are now FRAM rebadged, considering the mileage this filter held up decently , cant complain for a $3 filter

Change these Fram/MG filters for your app every 7 or 8 months under the same conditions(as long as mileage is over 5,000 you really have gotten the 'value' out of this filter) and give yourself a chance for more top-off, just a thought.

This is one of those 'well...it made it at least'...

That is one ugly filter (like all Frams!) but I guess it did the job. I'll be putting one on my old Chrysler for a 5k run that I got in the O'Reilly's special.

Thank you Aberns, By just looking of that filter in the picture I am now convinced that the MicroGard MGL3950 installed on my 84 Isuzu P/up can handle 2 OCIs. I will do that on my next oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ABerns
The pictures don't show it all that well, but the bypass was still securely fit against the filter tube, and I don't suspect unfiltered oil was getting past. The filter media had no tears in it, either.

Glad to see some reasonable analysis of the filter. Although it wasn't pretty, everything important appeared to be intact.

While there are better filters out there, FRAM still does the job. I prefer it over the ecore filters because of the bypass valve design and center tube being more resistant to media blowouts.

Actual FRAM branded filters tend to have too much markup for what's inside, but the Microguard is a decent value.

With the way the filter folds have spread open, I don't see how that much of the filter media is effective. With the folds mostly collapsed, there is not really a path through the folds for the oil, except the area surrounding the core. This seems to be the case with all tightly pleated filters, except maybe the ones with a screen backer to keep the folds open on the inside face.

The Honeywell/Fram filters I have used in the past and opened up, never had the ends warp at all which in this case appears be contributing to the collapsed folds.

It does appear that most filters are made by Honeywell, Purolator, or Wix, any of which can have a sloppy manufacturing issue. The best looking ones are the non-canister type since the quality is visible.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for posting. That thing looks terrible! I don't think the media pleats are designed (or should be designed) to streatch and deform like this. Based on other posts and pictures you just have to spend a buck or two more and this characteristic doesn't present itself. Wix for example at around $5.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
With the way the filter folds have spread open, I don't see how that much of the filter media is effective. With the folds mostly collapsed, there is not really a path through the folds for the oil, except the area surrounding the core. This seems to be the case with all tightly pleated filters, except maybe the ones with a screen backer to keep the folds open on the inside face.

The Honeywell/Fram filters I have used in the past and opened up, never had the ends warp at all which in this case appears be contributing to the collapsed folds.

A lot of abused high mileage filters seem to have warped/deformed filter media. It looks worse on the FRAM design, but I don't think the functionality is compromised on the FRAM any more than it would be on a damaged Purolator or WIX. The screen backed media filters such as the FRAM Extended Guard would help, but I doubt anyone that runs a filter for 17,000 miles is going to invest in a premium filter.

There's also a possibility that coolant is getting into the oil.

It is sad to see cars abused like this... if the oil change interval is stretched on an oil burner, at least change the filter every 5,000 - 7,500 miles since these cars are harder on the oil.

15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back