ford tells me to run 10W40 in my 5.4 ford 3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rickey
May I please ask how an engine oil that is so thin that it causes an engine to produce more mechanical noise is "good" for the engine?

Can someone name me an instance where a "thicker" oil was substituted and it caused more mechanical noise or oil consumption?

I have personal experience on several occasions with the use of "thin" oil resulting in more mechanical noise, more oil consumption or both.

Or maybe I've got it all wrong:
Perhaps increased mechanical noise and/or increased oil consumption are welcome product enhancements courtesy of Xw20.
28.gif
27.gif

Rickey.

Sure. Off the top of my head, oil that is thick will often cause start up noise - until things get hot and thinner. And studies have shown that thinner oils lubricate ring packs better.

Bdcardinal: Thanks for posting that this SSM has been rescinded. Wonder if there is a back story to that ( : < )!

Rickey: I can attest that if a Modular is going to make noise, thicker oil doesn't help. Despite thinking I was immune to being influenced out of my objectivity, I thought my 5.4L got quieter with 10W30. Then I parked it next to a wall, did a cold start and learned differently. Maybe even a little noisier than on 5W20.

Frankly, when that 10W40 SSM came about I was gobsmacked. It did lead my to trying 10W30 (as part of a consolidation plan... all my vehicles and tractors on one oil) and proving by datalogging that the 10W30 had no effect on the VVT in my 5.4L, which was my main worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rickey
May I please ask how an engine oil that is so thin that it causes an engine to produce more mechanical noise is "good" for the engine?

Can someone name me an instance where a "thicker" oil was substituted and it caused more mechanical noise or oil consumption?

I have personal experience on several occasions with the use of "thin" oil resulting in more mechanical noise, more oil consumption or both.

Or maybe I've got it all wrong:
Perhaps increased mechanical noise and/or increased oil consumption are welcome product enhancements courtesy of Xw20.
28.gif
27.gif

Rickey.

My long experience with 20 wt oils goes back to 1978 when I started using M1 5-20 in engines calling for 10-40. Results: quiter engine starts than the 10-40 Valvoline I was using, especially in sub 0 temps. Remember 80-85% of engine wear occurs on start, and 0wt oil will flow faster on cold starts.

mechtech i agree that the thinner oils lubricate the ring packs better and other things also but do you know where i can find these studies?

Ford designed the 5.4L 3v with "low consumption"/ low tension piston rings that benefits from the use of 20 wt. The increased oil film thickness forms the compression seal while better lubricating the cylinders (read in tech publication).

Last edited:
Being a 5.4 owner yeah it can be loud as heck going throw a drivethru. But other than replacing the Camphaser's what can be down to quite it down?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Being a 5.4 owner yeah it can be loud as heck going throw a drivethru. But other than replacing the Camphaser's what can be down to quite it down?

I switched to Ultra and it quieted down my 3v 5.4L. I know what you're saying about the noise, I use to pull into the garage and could barely hear myself think.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: stranger706
I wonder why they skipped 10w30 and went straight to 10w40?

XXw-40 is the first grade that's not "energy conserving". Energy conserving grades 5w-30, 10w-30 are designed to thin to borderline 20 weight 1000-2000 miles after an oil change.

I can attest to this. In my oil burner, right after an oil change it will burn oil at a rate of one quart per 3000 miles. After 1500-3000 miles it will burn at a rate of a quart every 2000 miles. It has to be the shear making it burn faster.

I've wondered about this for some time. I've been using those oils in my Granada and consumption nearly doubles after 2k.

After hearing the before and after of a couple of phaser jobs, I'm not convinced replacing them will necessarily make the engine whisper quiet either. I have my programmer set to show VVT operation (I use it as a load indicator for fuel economy... lots of advance = high economy and the closer to 0 advance= high load and low economy. I've run three brands of oil in mine so far, one syn blend, one straight mineral and one PAO syn, two were 5W20 and one is 10W30... no significant change of sound (except briefly in my head).

Could swore I posted in this topic and asked already ...

I thought when these engines first came out, they had problems with the cam phasers on a 30wt or 40wt oil?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
After hearing the before and after of a couple of phaser jobs, I'm not convinced replacing them will necessarily make the engine whisper quiet either. I have my programmer set to show VVT operation (I use it as a load indicator for fuel economy... lots of advance = high economy and the closer to 0 advance= high load and low economy. I've run three brands of oil in mine so far, one syn blend, one straight mineral and one PAO syn, two were 5W20 and one is 10W30... no significant change of sound (except briefly in my head).

+1 to Jim. So many of these engines have had noisy (not faulty) phasers replaced along with timing chains and VCT's. The noise is the the noise!!! I have one, an 04 Lariat. Has made the tick once warm for the 72k miles it has on it. I bought if from a guy I know. He used ONLY PY 5-20 with a Fram TG (YUCK??) and changed it every 3k no matter what. I go to 4k and have choosen MotorCraft 5-20 with MotorCraft and/or Pure 1 filters.

IMHO it's a noisy engine. extremely strong lower and some issues can be found on the top half....but way to many have created issues where they don't belong...cause the [censored] thing is loud!!

Mine will stay wirth 5-20 Motorcraft...and if I wanna extend the OCI I'll go M1 5-20. And feell good about the decision.

Agree Biscut. The VCT's on my 2004 F150 make some noise. So what? It pulls hard and does its job. Just because the engine makes some noise isn't the end of the world.

I've chosen to use whatever name brand 5w20 oil I can find on sale cheapest, along with a Motorcraft filter, and I sleep just fine at night.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Agree Biscut. The VCT's on my 2004 F150 make some noise. So what? It pulls hard and does its job. Just because the engine makes some noise isn't the end of the world.

I've chosen to use whatever name brand 5w20 oil I can find on sale cheapest, along with a Motorcraft filter, and I sleep just fine at night.

I see you have a 97 Explorer...I got rid of mine with about 220k on it. Everything original, tranny, radiator, PWR ST pump, fuel pump, etc... Engine was celan as [censored] 2. Good year for em!

Glad you feel the same. I have a Edge CS tuner and granted I'm only 72k but all the parameters run well. Highway ride today was about 15 miles at 92mph on hilly 84 thru CT headed back to NY. First good run sisnce I installed a PML oversize tranny pan. Ambient temp was 43 ran highest oil temp at 197F and tranny was 159 highest with 152-157 most of the trip. She runs good so far with that noise!!

Its almost to the 4k mark oil wise and I thought running it high speed (had a light load in the bed) may cause a little oil burn. Nope, still where it was when changed about 4k miles a go.

Guess I should also say, that I do change mine 4k miles. Clockwork, and I do it to make sure my phasers are smilin (and me). Overkill, yes, but cheap insurance IMHO.

Next oil change I'm going to get analysis.

I change my oil every 4-5k miles as well, like clockwork. Keeps things clean! My '04 has about 114,000 on it now. Does everything I ask of it and does it comfortably. If the noise bothers me in a drive through, maybe I should just skip the drive through!
smile.gif

My '97 Explorer is at 176,000 miles now. All original running gear. Has a bit of timing chain rattle (which its had for as long as I can remember) and is starting to show a little rust on the passenger rear sill, but otherwise is a nice vehicle to own (little maintenance) and drive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back