How long do oil pan heaters take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a block heater and also an oil temp gauge? How effective is the conductive heat from the block/water at heating the oil? Since Jan I've had less than a 3mi commute which has got to be destroying my engine. Looking forward to next winter I know an oil pan heater will be best, but I'd like the benefits of improved fuel economy and immediate hot air that a block heater would bring. The car also has a oil/water heat exchanger from the factory so having high water temp from the start will warm the oil up faster.

My engine calls for 5W-30 and 5W-40, but 5W-20 or 0W-20 will go in for the winter season.

Last edited:
Anyone using an oil pan heater? How long do they take to heat the oil and what temperature does the oil reach? Thanks.

I've used one on my GTI and found that an hour can heat the oil up nicely. I just touched the pan with my hand so have no temperature to tell you but it was at least very warm. I always feared having it on too long would oxidize the oil.

Just remember with a pan heater all the moisture is going to condense in the valvecover and upperblock area. The block heater or combo would be a better solution. The PCV is not functional with the engine off. I dont think there really is a comfortable solution for short trips other than an electric car or an E-Moped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Anyone using an oil pan heater? How long do they take to heat the oil and what temperature does the oil reach? Thanks.

I have a Wolverine oil pan heater. It all depends on how cold it is outside, the size of the heater, and how much oil your engine holds. You can easily get the oil to 100*F or hotter. I either set mine on a timer or plug it in 3-5 hours before I plan on using the vehicle. Also keep in mind heat rises, the oil pan heater is installed on the lowest part of the engine.

I really dont think there is a big issue with that type of commute, IF, you use a good oil, have a functional PCV, and take it on a longer drive (50-100 miles+ in one trip) every few weeks.

A block heater will get you more heat so when you sit in the car, you can raise heat faster, and will also make it slightly easier to crank, etc. But in Chicago/IN, it is more peace of mind than anything.

I used a coolant heater for my 6.9L diesel and it was way better. Never any goo on the oil filler neck like a pan heater. It warms the cast iron and also keeps the oil decent, but not actually "hot". Just warm enough to flow good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back