All motor mounts are bad! OK to drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has an 03 Altima with around 200k miles. When he goes over a bump or putting the A/T into R or D makes a horrible shaking noise. He was told ALL motor mounts are bad. He's just wanting to drive the car till it dies (which may be a while) and not put that much money into it. He does 3k OCI's (don't ask) and keeps up with regular cheap maintenance so who knows how much longer it will last. So I'm wondering if it's dangerous. I doubt they'll all just completely give out and cause extreme damage, right? What's the risks? Thanks!

With all the cost-cuttingsavings that manufacturers use, rest assured that the bare minimum number of motor mounts are being installed, and they're all needed to be working properly to keep the engine in place.

Think back to 9/11. All it took for the buildings to come down is to have one floor's support system fail; this then overwhelmed the one beneath and so on. Same here; if they're *all* bad, then one giving loose will most likely stress the rest of them and your friend will drop the engine right there.

My
49.gif

Since the 1970s or so they are designed with metal going through another metal donut, so it's not terribly likely it will actually fall out.

If you have state inspections in LA, hopefully this will be flagged and the car will be junked.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Since the 1970s or so they are designed with metal going through another metal donut, so it's not terribly likely it will actually fall out.

If you have state inspections in LA, hopefully this will be flagged and the car will be junked.

We do have annual inspections, but I didn't think mounts were checked... They do drive the car several feet, so maybe they'll be tipped off when slamming it into D.
smile.gif

Not repairing it sure isn't going to extend engine life. Maybe the engine will shift enough to pop a radiator hose clamp, or tear a radiator hose. Then overheat the engine and seize it up? Forget about safety issues, that's another story.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Not repairing it sure isn't going to extend engine life. Maybe the engine will shift enough to pop a radiator hose clamp, or tear a radiator hose. Then overheat the engine and seize it up? Forget about safety issues, that's another story.

What kind of story is safety issues? I'm really unsure of what is possible and would like to enlighten him and myself...

Back when the throttle linkage was a rod style they used to jam open. GM had a motor mount that broke and did this in the very early 70s, and probably prompted the "donut shell" style mounts since then.

The altima will have a cable if not DBW.

Sister-in-Law has an older Nissan Rogue. The motor mounts went on it and she kept driving it, until her dad heard her put it into drive one afternoon.

Due to her driving so long she needed new motor mounts all the way around, and a new axle as it is front wheel driven and the way the motor shifts as you shift gears it eats the axles.

If he did better maintenance he could get another 100,000 miles out of it. Nothing bad about it for his or others safety. I just hope it does not die late one night while passing through a bad part of town.
I've had interesting evenings begin that way.

How much are new mounts? I suspect not very much for aftermarket ones. 2 out of the 3 on the Neon are very easily accessible for the average joe. Even replacing the easy one or two could help alot.
Sounds like he's not a DIYer so he should get a few quotes to have it done. I bet some place will do it for not too much money.
He can get into a torn intake boot which will start sucking dirt into the motor at best, or stop the car depending where various components are placed in the intake path.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
How much are new mounts? I suspect not very much for aftermarket ones. 2 out of the 3 on the Neon are very easily accessible for the average joe. Even replacing the easy one or two could help alot.
Sounds like he's not a DIYer so he should get a few quotes to have it done. I bet some place will do it for not too much money.
He can get into a torn intake boot which will start sucking dirt into the motor at best, or stop the car depending where various components are placed in the intake path.

He goes to 5 minute oil change... 'nuff said. New mounts would have cost 1500. I think he's hoping it does so he'll have an excuse to get something new.

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek

We do have annual inspections, but I didn't think mounts were checked... They do drive the car several feet, so maybe they'll be tipped off when slamming it into D.
smile.gif

that's why they call it a brake inspection in Louisiana; if the brakes keep you from hitting the back of the garage, it passes!

1500 for mounts???? Holy [censored]. I would replace them. It could bind up the throttle cable and all sorts of things it can tear hoses break gas lines ect ect. He could probably run a chain through the part where the mount bolts to the engine and bolt the chain to the frame. But I would just fix the mounts.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

smile.gif

that's why they call it a brake inspection in Louisiana; if the brakes keep you from hitting the back of the garage, it passes!

Some places are more strict than others. I won't tell you the ones that aren't strict... they're my favorite.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
1500 for mounts???? Holy [censored].

Is that more or less than normal?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

What kind of story is safety issues? I'm really unsure of what is possible and would like to enlighten him and myself...

How about tearing/breaking a fuel line and cause a fire? Break the exhaust, break a battery cable, etc.

21.gif

Go on rockauto.com and look up his car.

This is the sort of thing a "craigslist mechanic" could do for cash money, probably $20-30/hr.

I remember seeing a 75 Vega engine rocking and shaking,the motor mounts allowed what looked like 2" of flex before a large metal "finger" would contact the metal housing of the mount just in case the rubber sheared (likely on the old Vega shaker).

21.gif

I can't tell if there's 3 or 4 mounts from the rock auto site, but its going to be $140-200 for all of them. And I'd guess at most, the same amount for labour to install them at an indepent shop.

Normal I had my buddy who is a mechanic put in all new motor mounts and trans mounts . At his shop . They weren't all bad but a couple were so I did them all and it cost me 300 labor plus parts so less than 400 for everything. I could have done it myself but my driveway is all mud right now.

Which engine is it? I don't know if it's the same for the Altima V6, but on Maximas they use a electronic mount that levels the engine or something like that (I'm not completely sure). But when they go, they're expensive. But there's a work around though with aftermarket polyurethane filled mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back