Leaks Oil - Never Change Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My 98 Corolla has about 140k miles and leaks about 1 quart every 1k miles. Should I even bother changing the oil? I'm thinking I should just change the filter every 3k miles.

Yes change the oil. The oil might be burning off but the contaminates are still floating around in your engine. Think of all the wear metals and contaminates that would be in the oil if you never changed it completely out.

What oil are you using? M1 HM or maxlife might help the leaks slow down.

Or you could repair the leak and move to a regular oil change interval. This idea has been pretty much debunked over time on BITOG, because you never really know that you are getting rid of the dirt and gunk.

I also believe that you should maintain a car until you get rid of it. It may well have a life after you, and even if you run it into the ground -- you never know when that is. For example, your Corolla could easily have another 100k of productive life!

That being said, you are still refreshing the sump with new oil... at that rate of consumption, I *personally* would be comfortable extending the OCI by 50%, assuming the filter is up to it.

Example: doing a 5k change on my Civic with, say, PYB and a P1, if I leak 1qt per 2000 miles I will extend it to about 7k.

IF the loss is a leak and not burning due to worn piston rings, you could surely get by with a change every couple years... As far as the filter maybe every six months if you do a lot of driving, quality filters can go 10-15K mi...

Worn rings will contaminate the oil due to blowby, if that's the case change oil every six months...

I'm currently using Supertech 5w30. I've tried using thicker oils and no change. The leak is coming from up around the power steering pump. I'm guessin the front cover gasket. I can always see a drip hanging off the pump when I'm under the car.

I have been changing the oil regularly the whole time I've had the car. Just wondering.

"never" is a long time. That said, I was doing 20-25K OCI's on the cheapest 5W30 I could find on my 4 cylinder Camry wagon with a main seal leak. I was waiting for the clutch to wear out before repairing it--2 birds with one stone and all... I did this for almost 100K (car was around 230K or so) when I sold it, and the car is still running. I was also adding about 1 qt every 1-1.5K miles. I changed the filter @ the half-way point.

Originally Posted By: 105
My 98 Corolla has about 140k miles and leaks about 1 quart every 1k miles. Should I even bother changing the oil? I'm thinking I should just change the filter every 3k miles.

Why 3k oil filter changed? Any Fram will easily go 10k if not more before needing a replacement (JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE)

Assuming that the engine is clean inside, any conventional oil will be good for 10k as well with that amount of top off (assuming you add 1/4th increments often instead of letting it get a quart low)

With that amount of LEAKING (not burning) you have to keep track of the oil level as you never know when it will start leaking 2-3x more all the sudden and you'll end up with a seized engine.

If you're not interested in fixing the leak then i'd say you can easily go 10k on any cheap conventional (you'll replace the total oil sump 2.5x in 10,000 miles)

If you have the balls for it (or you get a UOA to determine oil life) you could even possibly do way longer then 10k miles on the oil, with 10k oil filter changes.

Just my
49.gif

Yeah I was just throwing out the extreme case. I'm thinking I could get by changing the oil every 10k and filter every 5k. Or, maybe even longer. I'm open to ideas and thanks for the above so far.

Originally Posted By: 105
Yeah I was just throwing out the extreme case. I'm thinking I could get by changing the oil every 10k and filter every 5k. Or, maybe even longer. I'm open to ideas and thanks for the above so far.

Any good filter for the most part can do that. I'd use a Bosch distance plus or Fram Xtended guard and just leave it on for 10k, saves your time and would be about the same cost.

Last edited:
Great post. I had an old bmw 528e that had bad valve seals and used a quart of oil and one bardol no-smike every 600 miles. Very seldom changed the oil. Only did change the oil/filter when to oil level monitor woruld stick. This was not the idiot light. Drove that car for 100,000 miles before i sold it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Fix the leak. Jeepers!

x2
I know some people found it hard to justify to fix a leaking engine for X amount of money while the car will run fine as long as oil is added, BUT I personally think fixing oil leak is being environmentally conscious, it's the rihgt thing to do, it bothers me knowing I'm dripping oil and polluting the road and later the drainage and ocean.

Sorry being off topic, I say change the oil even when you are leaking at that rate, but certainly not at 3K OCI, probably pushing 7.5K or 10K

Last edited:
You have a perpetual oil change gong on.
Why change it under these circumstances?
Times are tough, but we should keep our cars fixed in safe shape for everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back