Michelin Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
DuckRyder, do you have a link to the high-res images? I've been searching all over for them, but can't find anything with any detail.

Thanks!!

Sure, see if this gets you in:

http://live.michelinmedia.com/press/defender-images.html

If not, go to Michelin's main site:

http://www.michelinman.com/

Follow the link to:

"North American International Auto Show 2012"

(it is in rotation you may have to manually move to it toward the bottom of the screen)

Then hit:

"View Now"

A new screen will open and you can select the tab at the top:

"Michelin @ NAIAS"

Then select:

"Introducing the MICHELIN® DEFENDER™"

and finally:

"LINK: Detailed information, photos, video and more at the Michelin NAIAS Press Kit"

Hope this helps!

first link worked for me..

looks like a great(for all season) light snow/slush/ice
bad deep snow traction with hardly any voids.

sounds like it's going to be marketed as a 'budget' tire in this version of the news article...

“The launch of the MICHELIN® Defender™ tire represents a significant breakthrough for the standard passenger car tire segment,” said Pete Selleck, Michelin’s new North American chairman and president, at a press conference this afternoon during NAIAS at Detroit’s Cobo Hall. “The Defender tire is a product that meets the demands of Americans who are enduring difficult economic times and are insisting on top value for their money in a way not seen for decades. Consumers can now have a safe tire that lasts longer, thanks to Michelin quality.”

Anticipating the need for a tire that does more for less, Michelin engineers were hard at work during the depths of the recent economic crisis to create a new standard in performance that could empower the family car to go farther and safer, while offering better fuel economy than ever imagined, all at a competitive price point.

As a result, the MICHELIN® Defender™ tire is the best standard passenger car tire the company has ever made. It is designed for the American family, and it fits virtually every standard passenger car on the road today. It combines safety, longevity and fuel-efficiency in one high-performing tire, without having to sacrifice one performance for another.

While the Detroit show highlights the best new vehicles in the world, this latest Michelin innovation can renew the family car already in American driveways with improved performance — all backed by the Michelin Promise Plan™.

The MICHELIN® Defender™ tire incorporates many of Michelin's latest technical advancements, including the all-new, revolutionary IntelliSipe Technology™ which combines 3D Active Sipes and Variable Thickness sipes enhancing tread features and providing increased safety. IntelliSipe Technology™ optimizes the number of sipes within the tire, proving additional grip for assistance in braking confidently.

MaxTouch Construction™ combined with the interlocking action of Michelin's breakthrough IntelliSipe Technology™ delivers impressively long wear life by providing exceptional tread block rigidity, while optimizing the tire's contact with the road during acceleration, braking and cornering.

In fact, the MICHELIN® Defender™ tire outlasts a leading competitor by up to 21,000 miles* and stops up to 31 feet shorter** than a leading competitor, helping drivers stay protected on the road.

Additionally, due to its low rolling resistance for better fuel-efficiency, the MICHELIN® Defender™ tire can help drivers save up to $250 in fuel @ $3.50/gallon over the life of the tires.***

All of this performance is backed by the Michelin Promise Plan™, a comprehensive plan unlike any other offered in the tire industry. For example, with the Promise Plan, customers who buy two or more MICHELIN® brand tires get a robust guarantee and warranty plan that includes a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, limited mileage warranties on passenger and light-truck replacement tires and flat-tire changing assistance for 36 months.

The MICHELIN® Defender™ tire, designed, engineered and manufactured in North America, will be available in April 2012.

Back in the day My '97 CRV had a BFG tire issue and BF gave me a deal on Michelin Harmony tires..they were excellent all the way down to 3/32 and 85k mi...had Michelin on my Accord 80k and bought LTX M&S for the ranch Tacoma..gotta say I've bought other brands and they just don't compare over time..the GoodYears I've owns are almost disgusting...my Accord will be going on 150k by spring when these 'Defenders' are available so hope to try them for the last leg on the Accord.

Last edited:
As a fleet owner I can assure you that on heavy trucks (load range E only) the Michelin is absolutely the CHEAPEST tire to own bar none. While a bit more expensive they last up to 3 times as long as competitive brands. We buy 4 sets a year or so and we've tried them all.

We all know that different sizes and different platforms mean different results. But they are not just a little better for us!

This is apparently not a directional tire, but man, it sure seems that the tread pattern will be much more efficient at water evacuation when rotating in the direction with the general chevron pattern. Maybe the longitudinal tread grooves are wide enough to take care of most of the water evacuation themselves.

I do like how the shoulder appears to have a relatively progressive rounded profile, and not a squared-off edge. I also like the understated and classy sidewall styling. Thirdly, I like that it will apparently be made in North America. I don't know which country, but likely either the United States or Canada.

20.gif

Jason,

I was at the auto show yesterday and took close up pictures of the tire just for you! Unfortunately, the pictures are on my son's camera and I am waiting for him to e-mail them to me.

I actually touched one of them and my hand tingled.

The Michelin display was really disappointing. It lacked any pizazz and there was little if any technical info available. It was incredibly dark and the tires were mounted on an ill lighted display, so I don't know how the pictures turned out.

I will post them up asap, if they turned out o.k..

I did get a picture with the Michelin man and.....I won $25 at the Ford Escape "game show" spin the wheel contest. The hostess was a bit shaken from my exuberance on stage!

Pardon the ginormous pics. Quality is VERY poor. I might have better pics available tomorrow. iphone + POOR lighting.

EDIT: Oops...see that Duckryder got you some good pics already!

photo23s.jpg

photo31n.jpg

Very nice, thank you! I just can't get over how directional that pattern looks. It's always going to look "backwards" on one side of the car.

The tightly-spaced tread blocks and sipes reminds me some of the old Michelin X-One.

OK - a tire geek's assesment.

First, this tire is an asymetrical, and while it appears to be directional, the tread pattern does quite have 100% directionality, so m best guess is that they will only label asymetrical.

It is also possible that the tires displayed (and the photos) are of a particular size that is asymetrical and has an appearance of directionality and THAT tire will quickly disappear when the tire is actually in production. In other words, they had a thin sexy model with big boobs for the photo shoot, but the production version is a plus sized version with a great personality( if you know what I mean!).

Hey, we talk about rubber (tires) and lube (oil) all the time. Besides, CapriRacer is qualified to discuss the topic and that's his professional terminology for us laymen.

While picking up my Destinys at 30% off this weekend, I confirmed (as best as possible) that the Defender is replacing the Harmony clones as well:

- Defender in Costco's computer system already (though no prices), and the Costco counter guy said that if they are available when they do their Michelin promo, it will apply to that tire as well. He confirmed it replaces the X Radial DT.
- Destiny, I picked up on a clearance sale at Canadian Tire. For kicks, I asked if the sale applied to Harmony as well (lower regular price for some reason), and he checked. It wasn't as it was "special order" versus stock, but I saw his screen, and again, Defender is already listed (but no pricing yet).

I imagine it is the same scenario in the USA for Costco, as well as for the other warehouse clubs. I would imagine the other Destiny retailer, Discount Tire, would be getting it replaced by Defender as well. And I can't see that Sears would continue with the WeatherWise II.

When I read your other post on the 30% off, I wondered if that wasn't a kind of clearance sale before the Defenders became normal stock.

I'll be getting some for my daughter's 2001 Civic not too far off and may delay for the Defender but if the price is right on the others and the Defenders will be the warranty replacements...

Last edited:
I just talked to a Michelin representitive. He told me that they are not planning to offer a 175/70R13 tire. I suggested he visit their web page where that size is listed. After a while, he came back and said that he had found it but it won't be manufactured
until July.I hope he is wrong about the production date as well. I am itching to get my hands on a set.

The 175/70R13 won't be available till July according to my source too. I also heard that there will be two models of the defender. The regular defender which most will have and a club model which will be the defender xt and the defender xt wouldn't be directional or asymmetrical. I have not seen a pic of the defender xt but am curious what it would look like.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
When I read your other post on the 30% off, I wondered if that wasn't a kind of clearance sale before the Defenders became normal stock.

I'll be getting some for my daughter's 2001 Civic not too far off and may delay for the Defender but if the price is right on the others and the Defenders will be the warranty replacements...

That's what I figured it was. The first of what will likely be several clearance sales. I picked them up with 10 tires left in my size at the store (6 after I was done), as I figured, get them while I can find my size. Other stores either have, or will be doing the same. I too had been debating between getting the older line at a good discount, or the newer tires. The price ended up low enough for me to figure it was worthwhile, especially as the actual pricing isn't yet known on the Defenders, nor is real world performance. The Harmony sisters have had their praises sung the world over, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back