B5 diesel fuel questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost always purchase my diesel fuel at Safeway out of convenience. Safeway (the ones I frequent) sell B5 fuel so I'm using B5 and adding FP60 to it.
Looking back at the Spicer Lubricity test I realized that the fuel with the most lubricity was a mixture of ULSD and 2% biodiesel which created B2, correct? So if B2 was the most lubricious wouldn't B5 be a little better? With that said do I need an additive for lubricity and if not should I continue to use one for cetane, soot removal, anti-gelling etc.? Thanks

Mike

Likely wrt lubricity. For fleet folks, it's a balance between lubricity and precious energy content. Plus some mfrs don't approve bio at any level as I understand it.

Need another add? You might have worse cold characteristics, so something like power service might still be useful.

Everything I can dig up says Ford allows B5 in all their consumer truck engines including my 6.0. In fact I don't know of anywhere in western washington that is selling non B5 (at the normal filling stations). I guess what I was inferring is... if I am already using the most lubricious diesel fuel, then cetane and cold weather ability should be my only real fuel additive need. Is this a fair assumption?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: snoboy
Everything I can dig up says Ford allows B5 in all their consumer truck engines including my 6.0. In fact I don't know of anywhere in western washington that is selling non B5 (at the normal filling stations). I guess what I was inferring is... if I am already using the most lubricious diesel fuel, then cetane and cold weather ability should be my only real fuel additive need. Is this a fair assumption?

Yes along with water demulsifiers and fuel stabilizers, the lubricity is only part of the equation.

Originally Posted By: snoboy

Yes, I would say so. My only concern would be winter flow/gel behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back