2009 Toyota Corolla Oil consumption problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wwillson
I own the same make and year, which also burns about the same amount of oil. There is a TSB for oil consumption, which requires the computer to be flashed. When you tell the dealer about the oil consumption TSB, they will more than likely look at you like you have three heads. Press them and tell them to search their database, it's there. I haven't had mine flashed yet, but probably will this coming week.

Wayne

The important thing is to not appear to be telling them how to do their job, make sure you are polite but insistent about this and tell them to carefully search their TSBs. It IS there.

This is why I love this site. Thanks for all the information and the TSB. I can't believe that will fix it but I'll take it in and report back.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Thats ridiculous.When it gets to the point that computer programming effects oil usage,you know its time to say WHOA..and stop the insanity.What is computer controlled that would make oil burn/disappear? Electronic piston rings? Servo operated valve guides? Maybe the continuously variable diameter rear main seal? Just nuts,I'll stick to the old stuff.
Just think,the year is 2020,and that mint shape Toyota is using oil,the dealer says there was a TSB way back in 2011,but they cant perform that programming anymore because its obsolete.Guess the car is junk.Scary stuff.

LOL it is kind of nuts how all cars are being designed nowadays not just any particular brand. Maybe they intended the oil consumption program to go into effect after the warranty expired, but due to a programming defect it kicked in early during the warranty period
57.gif
. j/k, but it almost makes who wonder.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Thats ridiculous.When it gets to the point that computer programming effects oil usage,you know its time to say WHOA..and stop the insanity.What is computer controlled that would make oil burn/disappear? ...

The car has dual variable valve (intake and exhaust valve) timing that is controlled by the ECM.

The ECM TSB changes the intake/exhaust valve timing.

See http://physics.usc.edu/Undergraduate/temporary/corolla2009/etcsi.pdf and note how the oil is involved with changing the timing.

Some Toyota owners have found that changing to 5w30 reduces the consumption.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/corolla-matrix/157795-2009-corolla-1-8l-2zr-oil/

1999 OLDS GLS 3.4L

I checked the Vin # and my mother in laws Corolla was manufactured before the update was available so hopefully going in and have Toyota flash the PCM and get an oil change and have them check everything else will do the trick. The part I don't understand is this car didn't burn oil until it had 12-14k miles on it. Then it started.

I own the same make. model and year. I was in communication with another owner in Australia who had this problem, he switched to 5w30 and the consumption slowed drastically. This is what is in his owners manual keep in mind this is the same car, whereas the North American CAFE version lists only 1....5/0w20.

In my owners manual it says "Toyota genuine oil or equivalent
Oil grade - 20w-50 and 15w 40
API grade SL or SM multigrade
10w-30, 5w-30, 5w-20 and 0w-20
API grade SL "energy conserving"
SM "energy conserving"
ILSAC multigrade engine oil

FWIW, I have zero oil consumption since 15 kms and I took ownership. My ECU has never been flashed. The oil level is still at exactly the full line at time of oil change, only there is just a slight darkening in oil color in the entire 10K km (6250mile) OCI. I was asked by a passenger if my car was a hybrid, because they couldn't hear the engine running.

I know the "warranty approved" answer would be to use the CAFE approved oil 0/5w20 indicated in the manual. However...I know an owner that has personally tested PP 5w30 and yielded zero oil consumption, zero increased fuel consumption compared and a quieter running engine.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I own the same make. model and year. I was in communication with another owner in Australia who had this problem, he switched to 5w30 and the consumption slowed drastically. This is what is in his owners manual keep in mind this is the same car, whereas the North American CAFE version lists only 1....5/0w20.

SM "energy conserving"

FWIW, I have zero oil consumption since 15 kms and I took ownership. My ECU has never been flashed. The oil level is still at exactly the full line at time of oil change, only there is just a slight darkening in oil color in the entire 10K km (6250mile) OCI. I was asked by a passenger if my car was a hybrid, because they couldn't hear the engine running.

I know the "warranty approved" answer would be to use the CAFE approved oil 0/5w20 indicated in the manual. However...I know an owner that has personally tested PP 5w30 and yielded zero oil consumption, zero increased fuel consumption compared and a quieter running engine.

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

SM "energy conserving"

Makes sense that the increased oil pressure from thicker oil would help, I think the real culprit is the OCV and its screen getting clogged.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

LOL it is kind of nuts how all cars are being designed nowadays not just any particular brand. Maybe they intended the oil consumption program to go into effect after the warranty expired, but due to a programming defect it kicked in early during the warranty period
57.gif
. j/k, but it almost makes who wonder.

PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE?

You can really never know what the programmers intended UNLESS they would fess up.

Speculation on my part:

The new computer flash remaps valve timing in a manner that results in less intake manifold vacuum under certain operating conditions.
Less intake manifold vacuum would result in less oil drawn past valve guides and rings.
This would also have the potential to affect emissions and fuel economy.

A band-aid possibly?

Mechanical specifications of pistons, rings, intake valves, and valve guides come in to play here as well.

---------------------------------------------------
Old Saturns have a (similar?) oil consumption issue that can be band aided by thicker oil. (I drive one).

Rickey.

I own the same make and year, which also burns about the same amount of oil. There is a TSB for oil consumption, which requires the computer to be flashed. When you tell the dealer about the oil consumption TSB, they will more than likely look at you like you have three heads. Press them and tell them to search their database, it's there. I haven't had mine flashed yet, but probably will this coming week.

Wayne

I finally took my Corolla into the dealer today. I had a 20 minute conversation with the service adviser about the high oil consumption. He said they have 5 Corollas in the shop TODAY that are getting either new rings or new pistons and rings. He said Toyota didn't tell them what the problem is, but it's pretty obvious that it's a manufacturing defect. He said they have done a considerable number of piston/ring jobs to stop high oil consumption.

Wayne

Wayne

I finally took my Corolla into the dealer today. I had a 20 minute conversation with the service adviser about the high oil consumption. He said they have 5 Corollas in the shop TODAY that are getting either new rings or new pistons and rings. He said Toyota didn't tell them what the problem is, but it's pretty obvious that it's a manufacturing defect. He said they have done a considerable number of piston/ring jobs to stop high oil consumption.

Wayne

Are you talking specifically about 2009+ Corollas or older ones?
98-02 Corollas were well knows for defective pistons/rings.

friendly_jacek,

I'm referring specifically to my 2009 and didn't ask the service adviser what other years they are doing warranty work on.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back