Used Collinite 915 Tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an old can of Collinite 915 in my cabinet tonight and decided to try it. I gave the Prius a quick hot water ONR wash and applied the Collinite 915 with a damp applicator pad, thus resulting in a very thin coat. The car had been clayed with a moderately aggressive clay 3 weeks ago and had a coat of DP Poli-Coat on it before this.

After spending nearly 2 hours on the application and removal, I now understand why I have not used this product in a very long time. It is a major pain to remove! It is very difficult to remove this product from the paint (compared to DP Poli-coat) and I probably put a good amount of scratches into my paint in the process of doing so.

This stuff is already supposed to be easier to use than 845. Has anyone else tried 915 before?

The shine is fairly good, even at 1 am under florescent light, but it is hardly seems worth the trouble to use. Does anyone want to buy a can of 915?
sick.gif

I use Collinite 845, which is a liquid wax and easy to remove if you apply thinly. Paste waxes are harder to remove and I have never tried 915 but have always heard that 476 can be a beast to remove.

You must have let it haze then wiped it off. It should be applied to a single panel and immediately removed. I've never heard that it is easier than Insulator Wax to use.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
You must have let it haze then wiped it off. It should be applied to a single panel and immediately removed. I've never heard that it is easier than Insulator Wax to use.

Collinite's site said it is supposed to be easier to apply/remove:

http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/

The can's instructions state explicitly to allow the wax to haze before removal. If I don't let it haze, wouldn't the wax smear if I tried the WOWO method?

Critic, the easiest CollinIte product to use will be the Insulator wax. I put it on thin using a foam applicator. It comes off easy with little to no dust, shines well and is very durable.

The 845 paste wax is easy to use and lightly misting the hand applicator with distilled water prior to using helps to put down a nice thin coat - a little goes a L. O. N. G way! Both waxes should impress you.

I bought the smaller can of 845 years ago and still have half of it left!

Quote:
The can's instructions state explicitly to allow the wax to haze before removal. If I don't let it haze, wouldn't the wax smear if I tried the WOWO method?

I speak from experience. No smear but you will go through a lot of MF towels.

You read it wrong. Read #2 and #3 again:
2. What’s the difference between the auto waxes; No. 845 Insulator Wax, No. 476s Super Double Coat and the No. 915 Marque D’ Elegance?
All 3 last step waxes serve the same function: to provide a high gloss carnauba shine and lasting protection. All 3 contain copious amounts of wax-both rare Brazilian carnauba and premium synthetic polymers. However, their degree of durability, ease of use, and warmth of shine vary. Think of it this way;
1. No.476s – most durable protection/weather defense. Most elbow grease required during application.
2. No. 915- 2nd most durable and slightly easier than the 476s to apply/remove. No. 915 lends our warmest shine to dark tones like navy and black due to its highest concentration of rare carnauba.
3. No. 845- easiest of the 3 to apply/remove with slightly less durability than the No. 915.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Critic, the easiest CollinIte product to use will be the Insulator wax. I put it on thin using a foam applicator. It comes off easy with little to no dust, shines well and is very durable.

The 845 paste wax is easy to use and lightly misting the hand applicator with distilled water prior to using helps to put down a nice thin coat - a little goes a L. O. N. G way! Both waxes should impress you.

I bought the smaller can of 845 years ago and still have half of it left!

I've never seen #845 Insulator wax in a paste form or in a can since it is liquid. Did you mean a different number or was it indeed available in a paste & can in the past? I've used it six years or better and only seen liquid.

I think I am going to stay with DP poli-coat. Great cleaning properties, great shine and durability, very easy to apply and remove.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

I've never seen #845 Insulator wax in a paste form or in a can since it is liquid. Did you mean a different number or was it indeed available in a paste & can in the past? I've used it six years or better and only seen liquid.

I have both the liquid form of 845 and the paste form, which is numbered differently and I can't recall the exact number. I love 845, and have 4 bottles of it. I have yet to try the paste, but have for cans of it. I probably have a lifetime supply of wax with these eight items.

Originally Posted By: Capa
I have both the liquid form of 845 and the paste form, which is numbered differently and I can't recall the exact number. I love 845, and have 4 bottles of it. I have yet to try the paste, but have for cans of it. I probably have a lifetime supply of wax with these eight items.

At least you will have something to leave in your will. lol.

Last edited:
I wonder where my head was when I posted the #s above:
The Collinite paste wax I use is 476s, which for me has been quite easy to apply and take off. The secret is to moisten your applicator lightly with distilled water and put it on thin. I try to use the 476s during the summer as the warmer temps make it softer in the can and easier to get onto the applicator.

The 845 is of course a liquid and is easy on and off - very little dust during removal. To apply it I use a foam applicator ( most auto parts stores have them) and once again, thin is in.

Both great long lasting products!

Sorry about my miss-post guys; the wife says I need a brain transplant- she may be right!

Originally Posted By: double vanos
The secret is to moisten your applicator lightly with distilled water and put it on thin.

This must be the secret. I've heard from others about how hard 476s can be to remove, but I've never had a problem with it myself even if it's applied heavily. I've always applied it with an applicator that's been moistened with softened water.

I just waxed my car with Collinite 915 and it's awesome. I had read generally good reviews about 915 so I decided to give it a try (I got the deal where they included an applicator pad and a MF towel for free). I had read that applying the product with a damp applicator was recommended to reduce streaking (my car is black) so I sprayed a little The Wax Shop Slick Stuff HD Detailer on the panel I worked on and then applied a thin coat of 915. I let it set up (< 1 min.) an then went at it with the MF towel. I had been using Black Velvet black wax and thought it did a nice job but I have to say that 915 left a nicer finish. I checked out youtube and there are some impressive videos of water sheeting with 915. 915 seems to be a really nice "boutique" wax but it does seem to require more care/work in order to get good results without streaking. I'd say that because it's a hard wax, it must have less solvents than the creamier paste waxes. This means that the product must be applied evenly and thin. The use of a lubricant like water or detailer spray and a towel like MF that has "teeth" helps spread the wax evenly and then pick up the excess product that minimizes streaking. 915 is not as easy to work with as other waxes but if you work it right you get awesome results.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
I just waxed my car with Collinite 915 and it's awesome. I had read generally good reviews about 915 so I decided to give it a try (I got the deal where they included an applicator pad and a MF towel for free). I had read that applying the product with a damp applicator was recommended to reduce streaking (my car is black) so I sprayed a little The Wax Shop Slick Stuff HD Detailer on the panel I worked on and then applied a thin coat of 915. I let it set up (< 1 min.) an then went at it with the MF towel. I had been using Black Velvet black wax and thought it did a nice job but I have to say that 915 left a nicer finish. I checked out youtube and there are some impressive videos of water sheeting with 915. 915 seems to be a really nice "boutique" wax but it does seem to require more care/work in order to get good results without streaking. I'd say that because it's a hard wax, it must have less solvents than the creamier paste waxes. This means that the product must be applied evenly and thin. The use of a lubricant like water or detailer spray and a towel like MF that has "teeth" helps spread the wax evenly and then pick up the excess product that minimizes streaking. 915 is not as easy to work with as other waxes but if you work it right you get awesome results.

The shine is quite good on my car with 915, but the application is just too much trouble for me, and far too risky.

If you want to buy the rest of my car, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back