Shaving bowl - what do you guys use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
To all who make make their own shaving cream......gee....How long does it take you guys to shave? Do you also use a straight razor?

It takes me about 10 minutes. It really doesn't take very long to swirl a wet brush around in a bowl or mug -- maybe a minute or two.

I'm not brave enough to use a straight blade, so I just use a safety razor. You really can't beat the closeness of it and the blades are only about 10-cents each.

To all who make make their own shaving cream......gee....How long does it take you guys to shave? Do you also use a straight razor?

To make the lather? Less than a minute.
Total shave time doing 2 to 3 passes, approx 10 minutes of enjoyment, using a double edge razor. Import my own blades from Turkey, cost per blade 7 to 10 cents each.

For me.....I usually face later by loading the Badger Brush from the soap puck and building lather on my face.

However, If I have the time, and the weather is cold, I like to load the brush with soap from the puck and build lather in the warmed up soup mug. This conserves soap and delivers an exceptional shave. Sometimes, I'll build a super lather in the bowl with a little shave cream from a tube along with the MWF soap.

Then just reloaded the Badger Brush from the soup mug for each pass with hot lather.

A good splash of Witch Hazel afterwards and some after shave and I'm set for the day.

Well, I don't go as far as making my own cream or using a straight razor. I can shower and shave both my face and head in under twenty minutes, though.

I use a bowl (on the rare occasion I shave).

No really, a 25¢ ceramic bowl I picked up at Value Village over a decade ago. Occasionally I'll put it through the dishwasher and eat soup or stew out of it because I like its overall heft & feel. It's fairly deep with almost straight walls which makes it easy to whip up a good lather and then to hold it in place.

Most of the shaving 'accessories' are priced past ludicrous into the stupidly overpriced range... and most of them you don't need at all. Sure, I'd like a shaving scuttle to keep the lather warm... but I'm not paying $$ for one made overseas and definitely not $$$ for one made domestically when I can just float my shave bowl in a sink of hot water for $free.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Can someone explain how to shave with a brush/soap combo?

My routine is to run a basin full of hot water, drop the razor into the basin, swirl the brush around in the water until it's full of hot water, then mop the brush around the enamel cup with the soap layer at the bottom until there's good suds.

Apply to shaving area liberally.

Read 5 minutes of BITOG.

Repeat the lather, then 1 pass with safety razor.

Repeat lather, then second pass in different direction.

Repeat if I'm going somewhere nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back