Popping sound in steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this 2000 Dodge Caravan seems to have everything going wrong in a short period of time. this new issue I have is a popping/thumping sound coming right from the steering wheel. It’s is not the sway bar links or bushings. The sound can be felt in the steering wheel and sound like it is coming from right behind the airbag on the wheel within the column. Is this a safety issue and any idea what it may be?

Sounds like the u joints on the intermediate shaft are binding. Poke your head up under the column and turn the steering wheel to see if you can see anything binding. My 02 Ram did this and the steering shaft checked out. It ended up being bad ball joints.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97f150
Sounds like the u joints on the intermediate shaft are binding. Poke your head up under the column and turn the steering wheel to see if you can see anything binding. My 02 Ram did this and the steering shaft checked out. It ended up being bad ball joints.

(explitives come to mind)!!!! Is this a safety concern? expensive repair?

Sounds like ball joints; does it happen when you hit bumps or when the suspension moves? If it it ball joints, it's for sure a safety concern because if they fail, your wheel will fall off.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Sounds like ball joints; does it happen when you hit bumps or when the suspension moves? If it it ball joints, it's for sure a safety concern because if they fail, your wheel will fall off.

No! I forgot to add that it will do it sitting in park and if I turn the wheel to the left or to the right, it pops. So now what could that be? no ball joints

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

No! I forgot to add that it will do it sitting in park and if I turn the wheel to the left or to the right, it pops. So now what could that be? no ball joints

The real test of the column would be jacking both front wheels up and then turning the wheel.

I echo the opinion of a ball joint. Should not be terribly expensive.

Could also be your stuts and/or strut mounts. When you turn the wheel, the coil spring will bind, then give way causing a popping or thumping sound. I put up with it for a while in mine until I finally got it diagonsed correctly. Replaced the struts and mounts around 72k (although they needed it much sooner). With 140k miles, it's about time to do the job again. I have a 2005 GC by the way.

Does it do this while driving/moving or when rotated sitting still?
Noise in or out of the passenger compartment?
Right, left, or both?

When the ball joints in my truck was creating this, it made no noise while rolling over bumps, only when turning the steering wheel whether sitting still or turning a corner.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Does it do this while driving/moving or when rotated sitting still?
Noise in or out of the passenger compartment?
Right, left, or both?

does it both while driving and sitting still when i turn the steering wheel. i can hear and feel the popping sound right from inside the column inside the passenger compartment. I put my ear right up to it and it is not resinating from down lower. It is right inside the steering wheel/column. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back