Amsoil XL - 5w20 - 9,148 miles - 07 Honda Civic EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
Excellent report!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This Honda will see 400K easy if the wear numbers stay like they are ...

Lets hope so.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Of all these UOA's, the M1 EP report looks best.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from buster. Looks to me like Amsoil did better or exactly the same in both 5w20 and 30 grade as well as 7 & 10K OCIs.

That magnet looks similar to the one I use in my VW. I've never seen that much particulate on mine. That's interesting to me because UOAs in these Honda engines often show very low iron values while my engine typically shows higher iron values.

I find it a little odd as well. I have this magnet bolt in both of my 07 Civic's and both produce great UOAs yet the magnet collects a lot of [censored]. Beats me.
21.gif

The second M1 EP in.

Also, look at the generic Amsoil SSO additive package. No moly or boron, now they are using both.

Keeping up with the times, I guess. I still prefer Amsoil over anything else. I feel extremely confident doing long OCIs knowing that I'm using high quality oil and filters. Helps me sleep at night. Haha.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I find it a little odd as well. I have this magnet bolt in both of my 07 Civic's and both produce great UOAs yet the magnet collects a lot of [censored]. Beats me.
21.gif

Maybe the magnet's collection of the metals is the reason for the low wear numbers in your UOAs! You should try one interval without the magnet and see if the wear numbers spike up as a result.

What I'm saying is that maybe having a magnet on there gives a false sense of hope in the UOAs, and it's just collecting those wear metals that would have shown up in the UOA instead.

Perhaps. I never bothered to experiment with the magnet off simply because all the UOAs with various oils and weight had the magnetic drain plug in and I didn't wanna screw up the results by changing the test equipment.

Now that I have a pretty good trend with this car, I've decided to experiment with the magnetic drain bolt as well as putting a magnet on the oil filter. BTW, has anyone experimented with the magnet on the oil filter and seen any fluctuations in the UOA reports?

I'm sure there can't be THAT much different. My used oil experiment as well as a UOA from a 2006 Civic LX that I ran didn't show wear metals at any higher rate compares to my Civics.

Magnets are more effective at pulling in larger particles while UOAs detect particles in the less than 7 or 10 micron range (the smaller they are the more completely they get detected). There may be some overlap in what the magnet can pull in and what the UOA can detect but I expect it is small enough that the difference in UOA iron values from using a magnet to be in the noise. But it would be neat to test and find out in your case if only for curiosity's sake.

I have a magnet on my oil filter too and it catches more particulate than the drain plug magnet, probably because it has a much larger surface area and is in a higher oil flow region.

How do you know that it catches more stuff? Have you cut the filter open and seen more metal on the filter near the magnet?

Originally Posted By: Artem
How do you know that it catches more stuff? Have you cut the filter open and seen more metal on the filter near the magnet?

Yes. BTW, I forget the brand name but it's a bunch of strong magnets held in plastic that conforms to the filter's shape.

A drain plug magnet is simply an additional filter for ferrous particles.

Nice report, Amsoil FTW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back