2011 Tundra 5.7L, Mobil 1 0W-20 SN, TBN/TAN, 5K mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
BT, I have the Rock Warrior. It's a double cab, 4WD, 5.7L, stiffer suspension with Bilstein shocks, factory BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, and it's in magnetic gray.

You're right about mileage in the sense that we all know that these trucks are not gas sippers. But it's just nice to know that it's gotten better than the 14 mpg I started off with.

I also wanted to say I hope I didn't hijack your thread. I just saw your post and we had chatted in the past about our trucks so I just wanted to update.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
swirlparanoid,

As I understand it, the 5.7L V8 in the Tundras doesn't require 0W-20, it can use either 5W-20 or 0W-20. The synthetic 0W-20 would be free from the dealer only if it was the only option for that engine.

Then again, I am even worse - I am not using any of their free maintenance at all, I've been doing my own oil changes. I just don't feel comfortable letting the dealer perform routine maintenance that I can easily do myself.

Concur, and even though I'm now running 0W-20, my OCI is still 5K. I will go back in the spring and have them do it again. As much as I enjoy changing my own oil and already have two jugs of Ultra 5W-20 sitting in my garage, getting 8.5 qts of Syntec 0W-20, an OEM filter, tires rotated, and fluids topped off for $10 is a deal I can't pass up.

I do trust this dealership. There are other dealerships in the area that I refuse to deal with. The only reason I would go to them is to drive by and flip them the bird.

The SN EP will have about 5,000 miles on it. I know this isn't very many miles, but it will provide a pretty good basis for comparison with almost all other UOAs on the same vehicle, which were performed with the "SM" version of EP. I think at last count I had 11 or 12 UOAs on that vehicle, all performed at 5K miles with SM M1 EP 5W-30.

RW1 - Excellent choice - my 2011 is the Off Road version as well (although it's not the Rock Warrior), in fact it's even the same color, Magnetic Grey.

FYI, I recently looked at the 2012 Tundra website. One thing that caught my eye on the spec sheet for the 2012s is that engine oil capacity has increased to 9.8 quarts on both the 4.6L and 5.7L engines! That's practically 2.5 Gallons of oil! How much do you want to bet they will increase the oil change interval to 10K miles on the 5.7?

swirlparanoid,

As I understand it, the 5.7L V8 in the Tundras doesn't require 0W-20, it can use either 5W-20 or 0W-20. The synthetic 0W-20 would be free from the dealer only if it was the only option for that engine.

Then again, I am even worse - I am not using any of their free maintenance at all, I've been doing my own oil changes. I just don't feel comfortable letting the dealer perform routine maintenance that I can easily do myself.
ahh i knew the 4.6 required it and i just assumed the 5.7 did also my bad

FYI, I recently looked at the 2012 Tundra website. One thing that caught my eye on the spec sheet for the 2012s is that engine oil capacity has increased to 9.8 quarts on both the 4.6L and 5.7L engines! That's practically 2.5 Gallons of oil! How much do you want to bet they will increase the oil change interval to 10K miles on the 5.7?

Holy mother of god and all creatures big and small! Why don't they just make it an even 10.0 already. But since it's only a 15% increase, I was thinking that an increase to the OCI to 7,500 would be reasonable. Very interesting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back