Cars I hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only recent car that really bothers me when I see it on the road is the Smart car. Especially in big open-road areas, 50+ miles away from any city. No storage, underpowered, lackluster MPG for what it is...

A guy one development down from me drives one. He must weigh over 300 lbs. I don't get it.

28.gif
I don't care for Kia, or Hyundia. They always seemed very Walmart to me. Not to mention they rip off syling cues from other companies. Which is a joke in itself! Also any other company that has nothing to do with the USA other then selling they're vehicles here. It be nice if some of these compaines built plants in the U.S. offering jobs to the people they are trying to sell they're cars too.

Last edited:
Domestic verses foriegn is such a blurred line these days. "American" cars have, well from what I understand the average Mustang or Suburban is about 70% non USA based parts.I read an article about a town up in the Northeast that took bids for a new Trackhoe. A foriegn company won. When the Townspeople complained about buying non-USA someone researched and found that the low bidder (Dihatsu if I recall correctly) was built in the USA, while the closest "American" trackhoe was built in, if I remember correctly, Bulgaria. Look at "Honda Davidson" They are assembled over here but look at the name on the forks, battery,carburetor.

Originally Posted By: sittingduck57
Domestic verses foriegn is such a blurred line these days. "American" cars have, well from what I understand the average Mustang or Suburban is about 70% non USA based parts....

Your understanding is a bit blurred thats for sure...fwiw, the current Ford Mustang and Chevy Suburban are both comprised of 65% USA/Canadian content/labor.

The actual content percentages are readily available for those interested in the facts rather than fuzzy, faulty third hand recollections.

2011 NHTSA AALA data

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Not trying to insult anyone, honestly..... but I really cannot stand the Prius.

Which is what I was saying in my post above without actually mentioning the car's name.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
28.gif
I don't care for Kia, or Hyundia. They always seemed very Walmart to me. Not to mention they rip off syling cues from other companies. Which is a joke in itself! Also any other company that has nothing to do with the USA other then selling they're vehicles here. It be nice if some of these compaines built plants in the U.S. offering jobs to the people they are trying to sell they're cars too.

Hyundai has a manufacturing plant in Montgomery, Alabama.
Kia has a design center in Irvine, California and a manufacturing plant in West Point, Georgia.

Toyota/Lexus were the same way back when. Most of the foreign makes have plants in the US which include engine and transmission plants so not just assembling them here but actually manufacturing here.

My mother's accord was built in OH, my minivan was built in Alabama. Many gm and ford cars are built in Canada and Mexico.

Despite that small effort, Hyundais practice of importing whole subsystems and major components leaves their domestic content footprint in a dismal state compared to Toyota and Honda. Both of whom lead the transplants by a wide margin. Even the cars Hyundai assembles here have low domestic content percentages.

Hyundai/Kia 2011 Domestic content data.
Hyundai Accent 2%
Hyundai Elantra 1%
Hyundai Elantra Touring 1%
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3%
Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4%
Hyundai Santa Fe 40%
Hyundai Sonata 40%
Hyundai Tucson TBD
Hyundai Veracruz 4%
Kia Forte Sedan 3%
Kia Forte Koup 3%
Kia Optima 1%
Kia Rio 4%
Kia Sedona 7%
Kia Sportage 6%

Originally Posted By: tdpark
....Most of the foreign makes have plants in the US which include engine and transmission plants so not just assembling them here but actually manufacturing here.

Since you made this claim...could you please post a list of this "majority" of foreign makes that have both assembly and engine/transmission manufacturing capabilities here in the States?

Outside of Honda, Toyota and to a very small degree Hyundai...who else comprises "most of the foreign makes"?

Hate is a strong word. I dislike:

-most new Hondas
-most new Toyotas
-Smart
-new Acuras
-new Lexus
-1 Generation-ago Buicks
-Aztec
-Pontiacs of the late 90s/early 2000s
-Cube, Juke
-1st gen xB
-minivans
-Mercedes with hood emblems
-BMWs

My mother's accord was built in OH, my minivan was built in Alabama. Many gm and ford cars are built in Canada and Mexico.

Blah, blah, blah. That has become a tiresome argument.

I keep buying GM cars and have yet to find one built in Mexico.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
but I really cannot stand the Prius.

No love for the Prepuce, eh? Bet you don't like the Foreskinner either.

grin.gif

That is a good one
lol.gif
I thought some more and decided I'd like to add the Smart car to the list.

GM vehicles built in Mexico are the Cadillac SRX & Escalade EXT. The Chevy Aveo, HHR, Silverado, and GmC Sierra are also built in Mexico. The Chevy Camaro, Equinox, Impala, and GMC Terrain are built in Canada.

They manufacture a lot of engines and transmissions that are shipped to the US to be assembled in the US.

GM vehicles built in Mexico are the Cadillac SRX & Escalade EXT. The Chevy Aveo, HHR, Silverado, and GmC Sierra are also built in Mexico. The Chevy Camaro, Equinox, Impala, and GMC Terrain are built in Canada.

They manufacture a lot of engines and transmissions that are shipped to the US to be assembled in the US.

Correct, but I will add that MOST Silverados and Sierras are built in Flint and Fort Wayne. Fort Wayne producing nearly all the light duty (1/2 tons) and some Heavy Duty (3/4 ton) and FLint making ALL Heavy-dutys. Silao, Mexico is an overflow plant making mostly trucks for the Mexican market but a few make it to the USA. They only make 1/2 tons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sittingduck57

Look at "Honda Davidson" They are assembled over here but look at the name on the forks, battery,carburetor.

Forks, yes and probably the battery (I'll have to check) but they have no more carb bikes. They all use the GM Delphi style fuel injection.

Originally Posted By: css9450

Blah, blah, blah. That has become a tiresome argument.

I keep buying GM cars and have yet to find one built in Mexico.

All the new Silverado/Sierras coming in to my shop seem to be made in Flint or Ft Wayne.

But if you go back just a few years you'll see some "3" VIN Silverados. Quite a few actually.

And every HHR we've ever had has been Mexican made.

And if you want a Ford Fusion built in the United States, you go to the Mazda dealer and buy a Mazda6.

Ok, so you have Honda, toyota, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai/Kia, - that is most of them.

LOL, yeah thats most of them...lol. Tell me again what engines and transmissions does BMW manufacture in South Carolina? Perhaps you should re read your original statement, there is a vast difference between manufacturing and assembly.

BMW 2011 AATA numbers...notice the low percentages on even the Spartanburg assembled vehicles(X3,X5,X6)...due to the Engine/tranny and major components being sourced from offshore...

BMW 1 Series 5%
BMW 3 Series 5%
BMW 5 Series 5%
BMW 6 Series 5%
BMW X3 5%
BMW X5 30%
BMW X6 25%
BMW Z4 5%
Mini Cooper Manual/Automatic 5%
Mini Cooper Clubman Manual/Automatic 5%
Mini Cooper S Clubman Automatic/Manual 5%
Mini John Cooper Works Clubman Manual 30%
Mini John Cooper Works Hardtop Manual 30%

The numbers don't lie. People who dont want to look at the numbers objectively, just make statements of fact up as if they know what they are talking about. Anyone who claims that "most of the foreign makes have manufacturing AND assembly" capability here in the states just doesnt know the facts.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

And every HHR we've ever had has been Mexican made.

And if you want a Ford Fusion built in the United States, you go to the Mazda dealer and buy a Mazda6.

Cherry pick much?

Step back and look at the big picture for a change of pace...I used Toyota as they are so far ahead of the other transplants outside of Honda, whose numbers are about the same as Toyota.

Buick Enclave 75%
Buick LaCrosse 57%
Buick Lucerne 76%
Buick Regal 21%
Cadillac CTS 65%
Cadillac DTS 76%
Cadillac Escalade/EXT/ESV 65%
Cadillac SRX 21%
Cadillac STS 65%
Chevrolet Avalanche 65%
Chevrolet Camaro 66%
Chevrolet Caprice TBD