Do dealer use air guns or torque wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Originally Posted By: 38sho
yeah I've never torqued a wheel in my life!

I've never messed anything up using an impact gun. I take tires off left and right on all kinds of cars. I take my wheels off on my own car a lot and never have rotor problems or stud/nut problems. I'm using original rotors that probably have 100k on them, lots of heavy stops, drag strip passes, 100+mph hard stops, track day....... never the slightest bit of pulsation on my brakes.....

Then you Sir are amoung the many who do not understand that Brake Tolerances have changed. Before 7 thousands was accepted play, Now it is under 2 thousands and in some cases under 1 thousand. Also, do you not follow any torque specs? Why should this one be any different?
Thanks, Jim

Tolerance where?

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Between Pad and Rotor.

I don't see how this clearance is of an issue, considering most cars/trucks use a floating caliper.

An improperly torqued tire/wheel will cause enough of a variation that the rotor will contact the inner and outer pads 180 degrees apart from each other. This in turn creates a thick/thin variation in the rotor, causing brake pedal pulsation.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Calibrate a torque stick??? That is just a socket extension with a skinny center designed to twist with each impact and limit the twist that actually gets to the socket. With my 65 lbs-ft torque stick I can easily hammer my lug nuts in excess of the 80 lbs-ft set point if I just let the impact wrench hammer away..

Yes, you do calibrate torque sticks. You test their accuracy on a machine that measures their actual torque-to-twist point, and then label that stick with the value obtained.

We didn't employ idiots so hammering away at a torque stick with an impact wrench wasn't ever a problem.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back