1998 Olds 88 transmission problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here`s what`s going on:

Gf and I were out driving and her tranny started slipping when she`d give it gas. Didn`t think too much of it at the time until it started slipping constantly and it also started whining. So I pulled into Walmart and pulled the dipstick.......dry! I went in,bought a couple quarts of atf,put in one quart,drove fine until we turned on our street,then it started slipping again. I pulled it up on my Rhino Ramps and the entire bottom of the engine is covered in atf and was steadily dripping down. The tranny itself though shows no sign of the dripped atf.

What could it be and what should I start checking?

I assume this has a transmission cooler up front, maybe inside the radiator? I'm guessing one of the pipes that runs the trans fluid up to the radiator has broken. They run right by the engine and normally have little clips attached to the block. Sometimes those little clips hit the pipes and over a long time can rub or rust. It would cause exactly what you described.

Check trans cooler pipes for your make and model online. They shouldn't be too expensive.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
I assume this has a transmission cooler up front, maybe inside the radiator? I'm guessing one of the pipes that runs the trans fluid up to the radiator has broken. They run right by the engine and normally have little clips attached to the block. Sometimes those little clips hit the pipes and over a long time can rub or rust. It would cause exactly what you described.

Check trans cooler pipes for your make and model online. They shouldn't be too expensive.

That's the first thing I'd check. Went through 1 set of them on my pop's truck, as well as 2 sets of oil cooler lings. The crimped joints in the hoses fail.

Well,it has the two tranny cooler lines that run from the radiator to that tranny and they`re fine. If these broke,there`d be antifreeze everywhere,but all her atf is leaking out from someplace. It`s all over the very bottom of the engine. Man I wish I had a lift!

Well I went back outside and looked at the 2 coolant lines(the ones that attach at the bottom and the top of the radiator),traced them all the way,and they`re fine. Are there any other lines/hoses to check?

Check the axle seals. Also remove the shielding by the starter motor and shine a flashlight up into the bellhousing to check the torque converter for leaks.

Worst case, wash the underside as best you can, then lay cardboard down while the car's on a flat surface. Letting it sit overnight should tell you where it's leaking from.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Check the axle seals. Also remove the shielding by the starter motor and shine a flashlight up into the bellhousing to check the torque converter for leaks.

Worst case, wash the underside as best you can, then lay cardboard down while the car's on a flat surface. Letting it sit overnight should tell you where it's leaking from.

I`m thinking you`re on the right track. The atf is leaking from the passenger side and the passenger side front cv boot is saturated in atf. I`d thought about the torque converter seal as well. Good call!

Last edited:
Transaxle plug??? Could be loose and then the air flow blows it all over motor.. a sensor on the trans? an o-ring might have failed and is blowing out fluid under pressure.
If its loosing trans fluid fix THAT. Don't throw a trans on it if it has a leak, just find it.
"It's trans time" don't let that poster scare you. He must either be brilliant at armchair diagnosing or is just ratting of lousy info "likely".
That's like saying oh your leaking oil, LETS replace your engine without knowing the CAUSE.....
33.gif

Dusty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back