What do you consider a high mileage/Km's car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on where its driven. 100K miles in NY/NJ feel like the equivalent of 200K in OH/KY due to road and traffic conditions. .

I tend to think 200000km's+

But I had a Mitsubishi Mirage 1.5L with 250000km's+ and the motor was like new.
confused.gif

In general = 100K+

If I am purchasing a vehicle 50K. I won't touch a vehicle with more than 50K on the odometer.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that between 100-150K miles is HM. 200K is starting to creak and 300k, your riding on borrowed time.

Just about any car properly maintained should make it fine for 150K. I feel the oil companies consider 75K as high, just to upsell the HM oils. That said, if I owned a 10 year old car with 75K on it, I would use HM oil, so there are other factors

I'd say 150,000 miles. I think a lot depends on the car, how it's driven, and how it's taken care of, and could really be anywhere from 75,000 to 200,000 miles before it's really "high mileage".

Obviously a Civic given to a clueless 16 year old to grind the snot out of is going to have wear issues long before a Civic driven 80 highway miles a day by a commuter.

Last edited:
I would agree that 150K (miles) is the new 100K...It used to be that 100K was considered high mileage but many late model cars are only in their prime at that mileage.
Like others have said, a commuter car doing 100 miles a day is most likely in far better shape than a city driven car with half the mileage.

I expect to get 150K out of a commuter type car. At that point, you are probably buying a third set of tires and looking at a major service ($1000 +) in the next 30K miles. It's about 12 years old so the seats are not as comfortable and intermittent problems start to show up (and then disappear).

This is about the time I fall out of love with my cars.

That said, I would still go for 200K+ in an economy like one we are in now.

I feel a lot depends on how and where the vehicle is operated. City and urban driving are harder on a vehicle than rural/highway. A vehciel operated in AZ for example will have the body far outlast a vehicle operated, for example, in MI where the roads are heavily salted and where there are many secondary roads using road gravel which has clay mixed in. I have a 2001 Sport Trac with a 4.0L SOHC V6 with 180K on it. Mechanically, I feel it will go to 300K but the body will not.

>75k, but I'm with NHHEMI, I would never buy one for myself with over 50k -- unless it's a toy, or 3rd vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back